AC enabled does what? (Over thinking the AC system) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't really get the AC system. I'm sure I'm just over thinking it but given I like to fully understand how something works maybe someone can provide some enlightenment.

On my 2009 unless it's below freezing (32F) pressing the auto button always automatically enables AC (Ie the AC button on the climate control screen is on). Additionally, even if I manually turn the AC off it seems to re-enable AC periodically. So it seems the climate control system seems to want to have the AC enabled even when it's relatively cold outside and I wouldn't expect the AC to need to be running.

So my question is, when the AC button is enabled does that mean the AC compressor is going to be running all the time even if it's cold outside (ie 35F) and I wouldn't expect to need the AC? Or does AC enabled just mean that the climate control can engage the AC compressor if it deems it needs to?

I think that I might be able to help with this...

First off, no the compressor is not engaged just because the AC is "on". The compressor cycles based upon temperature setpoint, so you can have the AC "on", but the compressor not called for. When the ambient temperature inside the cab drops below the setpoint, the compressor is called on and start producing colder air.

The system typically defaults with the AC on, to allow it to automatically control the temperature. By going to the Off position, you are inhibiting the compressor from turning on, which may reset back to Auto when you turn the car off and then back on again.

Does that help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom