AC compressor wail and moan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

leucadiacruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Aaah yes - Afton Canyon - the gift that keeps on giving :p Apparently my AC compressor didn't like being underwater for any length of time and has developed a steady moan the shop has determined is coming from compressor bearings. What is the easiest fix on this one? Can the compressor be rebuit? Aftermarket? Used Denso? Anyone else from the run having the issue? Maybe a group buy is in order! :)

Sorry you're going to have to wait until the meeting is over for a response. 😜

For the 80?

Compressors can be had for relatively cheap and if the refrigerant needs to be changed a shop will likely have to be involved otherwise it gets vented to atmosphere. So..... not sure what the shop quoted to replace but it might just make sense to have them fix it.

I have tried to evacuate and fill AC systems with my venturi vacuum generator but can never get the system quite evacuated enough and thus as good a fill as a shop gets with their vacuum pump.. Thus, I have given in and taken my trucks to a shop for AC work.

Not helpful I know, just my experience as of late.

Frank

Thanks Frank - Yeh with some research looks like the route I'm going to take. Glad noone else is suffering the same fate. Must have been that difference between 33's to 35's that kept you high and dry 😃

That could be. Though, the AC comporessor is extemely well sealed to keep the refrigerant in so it could just be it's time. If the truck doesn't get driven a lot the compressor oil doesn't circulate and so bearing life goes down.

When I replaced mine due to the bearing failing I picked up a Denso unit from RockAuto for about $180.

Mike just so you don't feel bad I had to replace my Front Diff Actuator, its amazing what just a little water from the Mojave River will do in the wrong place! I was lucky enough to get two more runs out of it before it completely failed. Back in business now!

20191214_164643.jpg

Mike just so you don't feel bad I had to replace my Front Diff Actuator, its amazing what just a little water from the Mojave River will do in the wrong place! I was lucky enough to get two more runs out of it before it completely failed. Back in business now!

View attachment 2156723
Mmmmm - I've grown fond of Afton tea! Glad you got it fixed.

Oh man, I haven't checked anything on my truck since then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom