ABS light 98 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive got me a 98 sr5. My ABS light has been on for about three weeks now. I noticed the second it came on. In the car wash. Im sure something just got wet. Ive been waiting for this weekend to dive into it to resolve the situation. Last night I used the Diagnosis deal in the engine and a jumper to read the codes on the dash. The best I could tell was a 41 code and a 49 code. Ive been looking and cant seem to find definitive answer for what those numbers mean. There was a youtube video I found with a dude looking in a book (don't know what book). Based on the book he had the ABS codes were (41-Abnormal low battery positive charge, saying to check the alternator, battery(mine is new), and or voltage regulator) and (49-open circuit, brake light circuit, to check the brake light circuit) just looking for some guidance. I h8 having lights on on the dash. Last night I checked and i have brake lights. I was planning on checking the brake light switch next, and then check and maybe clean abs sensors. Is there anything else I can do i'm not thinking of? FYI i do have test meters however i'm not great at using them.
Also i did do a search and didn't seem to find was i was looking for in previous threads. Apologize if i missed something

Well, I’m rolling around under this thing trying. I came across a post about testing with a multimeter the ohms at the connector. Post said front should read over 1500 which I removed them they look good and they do In fact read over that. I’m assuming they are good. Just tested the back which read around 1330 and other at 1325. In the thread someone said theirs were good reading around 1200. Again, assuming my rears are good. Moving on. Getting ready to look at the brake switch next. Not sure if what I’m doing is even relevant but hey, why not.

9BD559EF-730D-49FC-9FF2-2520B7A1ACED.jpeg

5A3CA03C-4F4F-46B1-92BE-025C0A58CDD3.jpeg

73E05AF4-E20E-433B-8516-7D056D08EAAF.jpeg

F8E4A18C-7B8D-468B-A1D7-5506782CFAFD.jpeg

Well, I did as much as I could. I found a new brake light switch. I’m not the most savvy one with a multimeter but I try. I decided to buy a brake light switch to compare with the one coming out. They seem to be testing (ohms) about the exact same. I’m confident my switch is good but i put the new one in. ABS light was off for a bit but did come back on. I moved toward battery, alternator, voltage. Tested the battery which is good(brand new) and checked voltage when running which seemed to be good. Wasn’t sure where to go after that. Wrapped up for the day and have just been reading every post I can find. Finally found one mentioning LED lights in the 3rd brake light causing issues. Earlier I checked to make sure my brake lights were working. I didn’t even look at the 3rd light. Sure enough it’s out. I removed the bulb which was an old original bulb. It’s toast. Hoping this is the problem. Dummy me. Of coarse the only thing I have that fits is an LED. I plugged it in and went to auto zone. Got me a replacement bulb. ABS light came on on the way home. Just finished replacing with the stock one. Took off Neg battery cable while I did that. Got it all back together. No light but I’ll drive it tomorrow. Hope for the best.

BA632AC4-1DA2-4EB6-8C38-CF71EE2AABAA.jpeg

23AA7A31-A359-4D18-B635-0870003623DE.jpeg

Well, everything seems ok now. Got an regular bulb in my third brake light. No AbS light all day. Lessons learned on this one. Only broke two connectors and lost only one screw. Lol. Today I replace an O2 sensor. Upstream came out, down stream has stripped nuts. Not sure what to do yet. It’s ready for work in the a.m. and that’s all that matters.

14528349-2EA2-4F94-9389-4C81C54F4FCC.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom