About Badlands Off road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClassyJalopy

Congenitally insane nor irretrievably stupid...
SILVER Star
Threads
Hello windy city folks!
I am curious about badlands offroad park in winter. Is it beginner friendly on a stockish 100? I will be solo since I don't have friends.

I only have a rear locker, 33 in KO2s, a winch and rock sliders. Oh also a penchant for bashing up body panels!

Is it reasonable to spend a whole day wheeling there and still be able to drive back about 300 miles to get home?

Yes to all of your questions

A locker, sliders, 33" ko's and a winch, it sounds like you are set up fine for 80% of the park. In the comfy confines of a 100 I think that is totally doable.

Thanks for the replies so far. I am planning to make it a mini getaway with wife and 3 kids under 10. I might even take some pics and post them here!

Any pointers on which sections to avoid, tip/tricks will be much appreciated as well.

There really aren't many spots you can't bypass or turn around if you don't like.

Thanks for the replies so far. I am planning to make it a mini getaway with wife and 3 kids under 10. I might even take some pics and post them here!

Any pointers on which sections to avoid, tip/tricks will be much appreciated as well.

There's not much you won't be able to do. Depending on how wet it is, maybe don't go play around on orange by yourself, unless you like the mud. Most everything else should be fine. Post up when you go, may tag along.

Tentatively, the plan is to spend Sat and Sun (1/18 and 1/19) on the park.

There's not much you won't be able to do. Depending on how wet it is, maybe don't go play around on orange by yourself, unless you like the mud. Most everything else should be fine. Post up when you go, may tag along.

Tentatively, the plan is to spend Sat and Sun (1/18 and 1/19) on the park.
That would be wise.
To drive down and back from Madison in one day with wife and 3 little ones is doable but sounds...…….long.

A suggestion might be to post up in the Hoosier Cruisers clubhouse site. Most of the guys in that group now run similar rigs and frequent the Badlands more often than this group.
Also try Indiana Land Cruisers on face book they also do A lot of family friendly trips and get togethers. May be A bit of a drive for you but a lot of their events are northern Indiana.

A suggestion might be to post up in the Hoosier Cruisers clubhouse site. Most of the guys in that group now run similar rigs and frequent the Badlands more often than this group.
Also try Indiana Land Cruisers on face book they also do A lot of family friendly trips and get togethers. May be A bit of a drive for you but a lot of their events are northern Indiana.
This is a good idea. It looks like we will be getting some nasty weather this weekend and driving 5 hours each way might not be advisable.
I will check out the Hoosier club

Isn't the point to drive to in adverse conditions?

I will slow crawl in rough weather without being overly concerned. I do not wish to drive 300 miles at highway speeds with loads of other folks being overly optimistic about their vehicles and their own capabilities.
On top of that I will have the kiddies with me.
Badlands will still be here post storm, effects of bad decisions tend to linger on for much longer!

No, actually the point is to be as comfortable as possible with sunny clear blue sky's dotted with fluffy white clouds, 75 degrees (or cooler) with the windows down, with your favorite CD (yes CD) playing.

I will slow crawl in rough weather without being overly concerned. I do not wish to drive 300 miles at highway speeds with loads of other folks being overly optimistic about their vehicles and their own capabilities.
On top of that I will have the kiddies with me.
Badlands will still be here post storm, effects of bad decisions tend to linger on for much longer!

Slow crawl? Your that guy? Yeah, please stay home!

Or go out and have fun in the snow taking deserted un-plowed country roads. Best case scenario.... you could be rid of the kiddies! :bounce:

No, actually the point is to be as comfortable as possible with sunny clear blue sky's dotted with fluffy white clouds, 75 degrees (or cooler) with the windows down, with your favorite CD (yes CD) playing.

But that's not always possible, and fun must be had!

Slow crawl? Your that guy? Yeah, please stay home!

Or go out and have fun in the snow taking deserted un-plowed country roads. Best case scenario.... you could be rid of the kiddies! :bounce:
Unplowed roads are for my BMW 5 series with snow tires, when I am out with LX I find myself in unadvisable situations. Still wouldn't want to drive out on highway to go to an offroad park 2 states over in a storm!

MudBogged.png

Wtf are you doing that for without a snorkel!!! Dodged a bullet there.

I do feel sorry for the cyclist you ran over and lodged his bike in your back bumper. Wait who am I kidding I dont.

I see the point in wanting to drive a BMW in the snow. Might as well drive your beater scrap in bad conditions. And they are likely to break before you get very far, so you can go home where it's warm.

As for wheeling with three kids, yeah, go check out Hoosiers Cruisers. Those guys love wheeling with kids.

I see the point in wanting to drive a BMW in the snow. Might as well drive your beater scrap in bad conditions. And they are likely to break before you get very far, so you can go home where it's warm.

As for wheeling with three kids, yeah, go check out Hoosiers Cruisers. Those guys love wheeling with kids.

Funny - but somehow mine has been pretty reliable so far. Of course, it has only about 145k on it - so who knows what the future holds.
See a pic below of me hanging out with the local Heep club in my little Bimmer - there were some pissed bro-dudes that day. But what do you expect when you spend all your days posing on gravel roads?

Don't forget about Cliffs Insane Terrain west of Chicago. That place was made for full bodied trucks on street tires.
Been there a couple of times. I have read yours and others thoughts on that place too. I could only spend a couple of hours there, going around on their easiest trail (still full of mud) and found it to be quite uninteresting actually.
I couldn't quite muster enough courage to go into more challenging ones.

Bimmer on a Heep club ride!

20181027_131117.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom