A442F gearbox rebuild issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy/G'day/Konichiwa or whatever screams help in your language...

Vehicle: '97 1HD FT VX Limited with a A442F box.
History: 1.Since purchasing the vehicle I've had overheating (Oil Temp Light of Transmission) issues with the box. She had over 450 000km on the clock.
2. Installed an aftermarket Oil cooler and it helped but during a crazy trip the box gave her last. o-d light flashing and oil temp coming on but she brought us home over 900km.
3. Had gearbox rebuilt and transfer case at a reputable Transmission shop.
4. After getting it back Gearbox shifted smoothly but after driving my first gravel the o/d light started flashing again and it felt like the vehicle goes into some sort of Limp mode of skips second gear. So she does pick up speed but it feels like your in the wrong gear.
5. Took her back and according to the smart guys they replaced the valve body and a solenoid but they were not sure that was the issue.
6. Drove her for a week and then after another gravel road same story. Took her back and they can't find the problem.
7. After explaining to them that I am very calm and not mad, only disappointed, I collected my vehicle from them and told them I will try and diagnose the issue myself.
8. I cant seem to get the fault code reading from the OBD 1.
9. Where do I start? I'm feeling maybe Throttle position sensor? I dont even know where it is....
10. Any help would be much appreciated!

How to: Replace Transmission Solenoid - Toyota FZJ80 Land Cruiser, 80-Series with A442F Trans​

How To Read Transmission Code with Flashing Overdrive Light, 80-Series Land Cruiser​

How to: Replace Transmission Solenoid - Toyota FZJ80 Land Cruiser, 80-Series with A442F Trans​

How To Read Transmission Code with Flashing Overdrive Light, 80-Series Land Cruiser​

Thanx. I watched those videos and the solenoid has been replaced. Will double check the connections though. Funny thing is when I bridge the Diagnostic pins I am not getting a fault code....

did shop replace all 4 solenoids?

had issue with 442 recently and 2 of the 4 solenoids were bad. new solenoids, filter, flush, and things were back to normal. and the isuzu solenoids are way cheaper than toyota.

shop i originally went to told me I needed a new torque converter.. pfft.

Any news? Did you ever find the problem?
I've been driving her a lot and the problem is intermittent. I'm leaning more towards a faulty kick down cable or Throtlle Position Sensor at the moment. The unit (no idea what its called) where the throttle cables connect to the diesel pump also has a lot of play. So no, haven't identified the issue completely. When the issue is not experienced the box is driving really well. Dumb struck.... or just dumb.

did shop replace all 4 solenoids?

had issue with 442 recently and 2 of the 4 solenoids were bad. new solenoids, filter, flush, and things were back to normal. and the isuzu solenoids are way cheaper than toyota.

shop i originally went to told me I needed a new torque converter.. pfft.
Apparently yes....

I've been driving her a lot and the problem is intermittent. I'm leaning more towards a faulty kick down cable or Throtlle Position Sensor at the moment. The unit (no idea what its called) where the throttle cables connect to the diesel pump also has a lot of play. So no, haven't identified the issue completely. When the issue is not experienced the box is driving really well. Dumb struck.... or just dumb.
Intermittent problems can be the worst since you can only diagnose them when they are acting broken. Stick with it and let us know if you have more questions or what you eventually find wrong.

Intermittent problems can be the worst since you can only diagnose them when they are acting broken. Stick with it and let us know if you have more questions or what you eventually find wrong.
Will do so. Yes, they are a pain...

When she does act up the o/d light flashes. Is the the queue to jump out, bridge the pins an try and read the fault code or how does that work?

Will do so. Yes, they are a pain...

When she does act up the o/d light flashes. Is the the queue to jump out, bridge the pins an try and read the fault code or how does that work?
http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/A442F.pdf might be of help or for reference.

Yes, check when your o/d light flashes. It should store any older trans codes IIRC.

Codes are here:

http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/A442F.pdf might be of help or for reference.

Yes, check when your o/d light flashes. It should store any older trans codes IIRC.

Codes are here:
Thank you very much. That jump form 1 st to fourth sounds like one of the issues I experienced. What also is happening now is that the down shift also happens from fourht to 2nd/1st...sure puts on the brakes!

I know you've already mentioned it, but look in to the kick down cable to make sure it is within spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom