A440 shudder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have a 1988 hj61 12ht with the a440 that gets a bad shudder after the torque converter lockup happens. I have a parts fj62 with the a440 but am not sure if the I can just swap torque converter from the fj or if the 12ht has a different one and if the transmission from the 12ht would need to be rebuilt/ swapped also?
Trying to get as much advise and info as I can before spending a bunch of time and money on this.

To add to what @pithicus said (which I think is spot on), let your truck warm up properly before driving it, especially when the ambient temp is cold, so that your fluids all have time to warm and circulate.

It could simply be an old wive’s tale, but it can’t hurt.

When I used to ride/own a Ducati, I never put it in gear or opened the throttle until the temp registered above “L” (120 on my moto). Never got a flaking rocker (with an engine notorious for that defect) 😉
Oh yeah, living in Alaska you know all about letting diesels warm up before driving when it's cold out😃

Oh yeah, living in Alaska you know all about letting diesels warm up before driving when it's cold out😃
Lol! I didn’t catch the -10 part :rofl: until now… d’oh!

Shudder came back quite soon after adding the dr tranny but I waited till I couldn't finesse it away by holding 3rd into higher revs and letting it ease into lockup. After getting sent the wrong TC, finally got my billet heavy duty TC from wholesale automatic transmissions in Australia and my shudder is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom