A340F/VF2A on 88 4Runner, 4wd not engaging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this. I'm a LandCruiser guy, but I'm working on an '88 4Runner and can't seem to troubleshoot the 4WD not working correctly. Hoping I can repair it here rather than ship it back to the trans reman. company that put it in last year;

Put trans. in neutral. Disconnected shift linkages from 4WD selector lever and manually engaged 4WD arm on the drivers side of transfer case into 4HI. Locked both hubs and rotated front wheel. Opposite wheel spins opposite direction; same reverse rotational direction when other wheel is spun.

Spun the front driveshaft and am able to get both wheels up front to rotate. That indicates to me that the hubs and differential assembly are doing their job.
So I unbolted the driveshafts from each flange on the transfer case and rotated the flanges. No rotation of the front drive flange when the rear flange is rotated.

As best I can tell, it looks like a mechanically operated chain-drive case, but the company that sent our shop a reman. unit wants me to check whether or not the "4WD solenoid" is working properly. Is there something I'm missing, or is this not purely mechanically actuated?

Given that the trans & t/c under my 88 appear to share the fluid I wonder if there is a hyd clutch or coupler inside that needs fluid pressure to engage the front drive. I'd hook the shifters back up (after going thru the FSM alignment procedure, whatever that might be) and try it again with the engine running at idle and the trans in gear, but the drive-shafts disconnected.

EDIT: Page "AT-245" of my '88 FSM shows an exploded view of a "Transfer Front Drive Clutch", which is a stack of steels and frictions with a hydraulic piston actuator.

The one under your truck is probably an A340H, which has a transfercase that is basically built in, the only way to remove it is to open the transmission and remove the bolts. The A340F has a separate transfercase. Knowing the year of the vehicle in question would be great.

OP says '88 so I assumed that his would be the same as my '88.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom