a nice add-on for the roof rack: adjustable bars for tiedowns, tents, tires etc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
yes, it is trivially simple....

yes, you likely already thought about it....

but, yes, it is also very useful and very flexible, so here goes, in case you haven't yet thought about it yet (I'm sure you would have very soon, but it's better to get the thing ready before you need to figure out a way to pack your whole house in the truck for that camping trip the next day with the inlaws, right? :))

I have a Tradesman safari roof rack with guard rails.

So I bolt on some cross bars. But these are the Unistrut types. I can use those in various ways. The photo below is one. In this case I don't use the Unistrut groove. I just have the bars on as retaining bars. For example, I will squeeze one against the jerry cans when I put those up there so they don't move around. Same with boxes or a tire. (you don't want to hold one of these with a strap and find out the strap got loose while wheeling, right?) The beauty of it is that with the Ubolts, in 10 secs I can loosen it up and move it to another location or adjust to a different size load. In the case of the pic, I put the cross bar under the rail and 2 upside down. That's because there is only about 1/2 inch between the top of the rail and the bottom of my garage door entry and I wanted the flat surface for my mag mount ham antenna. But you can also use the Unistrut upright and then use the usual sliding bolts for even more flexibility in load tie down, and put the bars either across or along the rails. In this case, I have the Ubolts going through the bar but you can also put them at 45deg outside to keep the groove empty. As I said, very flexible.

You could also use the bar with a extension for an awning. Use a wider one to put that Kayak on the side when the rack is full. Use it for a RTT, HighLift, shovel. Etc...

Here is a pic. It doesn't show the Unistrut versatility, but trust me on that... :)

HTH

E

oh, and with the bar sticking out that much, it will also snag all the trees near the trail... trust me on that too.... :D
rack bars small.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom