A/C Condenser Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

henzmeister

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello there! First time posting on the forum, recently acquired my dad's 1987 FJ60 and I have been working on refreshing the HVAC. Replaced the heater core, re-foamed the blend doors, replaced the evaporator, expansion valve, low pressure switch, compressor, and A/C idler pulley.

I had ordered a new condenser from Amazon over a month ago, shipping keeps getting pushed back so I am beginning to think they don't have it. Looks like the part (Denso 477-0154) has been discontinued. I don't see them on Summit, Rock Auto, etc. The only place it seems I can source it new is $OR for $350 + Shipping. Amazon was around $175. I saw cruiserparts.net list one but that place seems to have mixed reviews based on all the lurking I've done here over the years.

My question is, is the condenser something I can get away with just flushing and re-using or should I really be sourcing a new one, regardless of the cost? The system was holding pressure before I had the R12 reclaimed and took it apart so I don't think there's any leaks, let alone one in the condenser.

Unless you see visible signs of corrosion or damage, and you were able to remove the condenser without mangling any of the fittings, it can 100% be cleaned and re-used. I assume you're moving to R134a and PAG oil. You'll need to give the condenser a thorough cleaning (big box store sells the aerosolized bottles to help here) to remove all the mineral oil from the R12 system before recommissioning the system. PAG and mineral oils are incompatible - don't wreck your new AC system.

Besides a ton of bent fins from smashing bugs for 36 years it seems to look okay. And yes, I am indeed converting to r134a. I already blew some flush and air through it but that was just because I was trying to clean out the lines without taking the grill off. I’ll probably blow another can of flush through and several minutes of air while I figure out what I’m going to do.

IMG_4674.jpeg

IMG_4672.jpeg

IMG_4673.jpeg

Last edited:
Any update on this I am currently in the same situation. Unable to find a replacement condenser and looking at options.
I gave up and cancelled the order. Got the condenser flushed and leak tested so I will be reusing it. Just trying to find a weekend where I'm not busy to put everything back together, replace the 0-rings, and install my new compressor and V belts.

I replaced everything, including the hoses, but could not source a condenser for my '83 anywhere. Even posted a wanted ad here. Amazon lists them but they can not fulfill. Had my original tested, showed no leaks, so cleaned and painted and works well.

IMG_9618.JPG

IMG_9409 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom