98 Disco or 92 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Struggling to decide between a 98 Disco with 117k and a 92 Land Cruiser with 240k . Both are just shy of $3k. Plan is convert it to an over-lander but am struggling with low (relatively) mileage unreliable car with a high millage reliable one.

Any advice, any other suggestions?

I think it depends on which one was better taken care of

I own both a 95 FZJ with 216k mile and a 95 Range Rover Classic with 90k miles. First off how comfortable are you with a wrench? Both vehicles require a lot of maintenance. They both will be expensive if you are hiring a mechanic regularly. The disco will certainly give more electrical problems. I would expect that going in. Parts wise I would say the disco and the Land Cruiser are about the same. If anything the disco parts are slightly cheaper than OEM Toyota.

How well have the vehicles been maintained? How are the swivels on the front axle? Are they leaking, do they have grease? What are the braking systems of each vehicle like? How well has the cooling system been maintained? I would check the major systems of each vehicle and make your decision based upon that.

Contrary to popular opinion, Land Rovers are mechanically reliable if properly maintained. You have to keep up on the fluid changes or it will get expensive quickly.

Does the disco have rear air springs? If they are original you will want to replace them. $100 per side (easy to swap).

Also, both vehicle are prone to blowing head gaskets (make sure you are not buying someone else's problem).

The 92 is not as bad about blowing head gaskets as the FZJs.

vacillating

Right now I am not sure what I want. I would like a rig that can go up a jeep trail but still would work as an overlander. Toyota LC is just to big a rig for most of what I drive up here in the Wasatch and Uintah and a wrangler is looking pretty tempting... but I have a 1987 Lada Niva for fun. (That probably answers your question via-a-vis wrench affection.)

So I just don't know, and my wife says I can have only one more toy.

So frankly the Disco is looking more and more tempting. Funny thing is that my British friends have the same opinion (Unreliable, not really good off-road, expensive parts, etc...) about Jeeps that my American friends have about the Disco, so normalcy bias aside and access to internet shopping I think Disco.

Other question: is the Series I really that much better off-road?

I've never owned a series I but I cant imagine it would be any better off road than a wrangler. Since you are mechanically inclined I'd go with the disco (smaller than the LC, bigger/ more comfortable than the wrangler).

As far as reliability goes I think a lot of the trash talking can be attributed to questionable mechanics/ parts. I've wheeled a lot of CJ's when I was younger and to me they only break when you do something stupid. Also I see people buy the cheapest Autozone parts and then complain that Jeeps are junk when they break.

If you do buy the disco Rovers North and Atlantic British are good sources for parts. I usually try to buy Genuine parts unless they are prohibitively expensive. Rover's North has its own forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom