97 LC - Starting problems

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by barnette22, Feb 16, 2009.

1. barnette22

barnette22

I started my LC today and as soon as it started running all the dash indicator lights turned on and the truck starting violently going from high idle to low idle. I turned the ignition off and it took a second for the truck to actually turn off. Is this a computer issue? Thanks in advance for responses.

2. Biaggi

Biaggi

Media:
    Albums:
    Do a search on the FAQ. Sounds like you need to replace your Starter. I had the same symptoms and eventually the starter kept turning while the engine was running and I had to disconnect the battery to stop it. There is a Starter thread here that explains the whole DIY. Pretty straight forward to get to from the drivers side front wheel well.

3. ppc

ppc M Go Blue

Yes it is more than lkely the starter, but a complete replacement is not necessary. Replace the two contacts and plunger and everything should be fine. This should be written up in the FAQ.

4. wxm

wxm

Media:
    Albums:
    I got the exactly the same problem around Christmas time, replaced the starter contacts and the plunger. It seems to fix the problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.