96' 1fzfe engine knock advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I've got a 96' petrol 80 series with 202k on the clock. Its developed a knock, could anyone point me in the right direction of how to diagnose where it is coming from? Any known issues?

1) What recent work has been done to the truck?
2) What is the hose on the right side with the wires in it and leads to the block in front of the throttle body?
3) Your fan clutch is not doing its job. It needs attention
4) RPM is excessively low. What is it idling at? It should be 650 +/- 50 RPM
5) What is you oil pressure gauge telling you? Is it low? Is it low at idle, then moves up as you rev it?
6) Your PCV hose is torn. You need to do more maintenance on your truck. Fix the little problems first.
7) What oil filter do you have installed (brand and part #)
8) Have you checked your oil lately? Do you lose any between oil changes?
9) How many miles (KM) are on the truck?

1) What recent work has been done to the truck?
2) What is the hose on the right side with the wires in it and leads to the block in front of the throttle body?
3) Your fan clutch is not doing its job. It needs attention
4) RPM is excessively low. What is it idling at? It should be 650 +/- 50 RPM
5) What is you oil pressure gauge telling you? Is it low? Is it low at idle, then moves up as you rev it?
6) Your PCV hose is torn. You need to do more maintenance on your truck. Fix the little problems first.
7) What oil filter do you have installed (brand and part #)
8) Have you checked your oil lately? Do you lose any between oil changes?
9) How many miles (KM) are on the truck?
Thanks for your response, I bought the truck less than a month ago so havnt had it long.
1) It had a headgasket, valve stem seals done approx 3k miles ago
2) Its had an Lpg system on it but has since been disconnected but all wiring remains, looks like a pretty bad job
3) I will get a new fan clutch
4) rpm is around 550-600
5) low when idle then raises when driving/revved
7) I replaced the oil and filter today, replaced with a bosch oil filter. The one on it previously was a blue print filter. Oil didn't look too bad when I changed it.
8) It has done 202k miles.

The video I attached does sound worse on video than in person, any ideas on what the knocking would be?

Thanks for your response, I bought the truck less than a month ago so havnt had it long.
2) Its had an Lpg system on it but has since been disconnected but all wiring remains, looks like a pretty bad job
4) rpm is around 550-600
7) I replaced the oil and filter today, replaced with a bosch oil filter. The one on it previously was a blue print filter. Oil didn't look too bad when I changed it.

The video I attached does sound worse on video than in person, any ideas on what the knocking would be?

This is what it has been sounding like, just remembered a few other things that have been done
New water pump, New radiator, new thermostat and a coolant flush, this was all because it got a bit warm, didn't over heat though last week, the noise was there before this happened.
Just went to check, it idles at 600rpm when in neutral and approx 800rpm when in gear. I am unsure of the work quality of the people who did the headgasket and what parts were used. Just have the invoice of the repair bill.

This is what it has been sounding like, just remembered a few other things that have been done
New water pump, New radiator, new thermostat and a coolant flush, this was all because it got a bit warm, didn't over heat though last week, the noise was there before this happened.
Just went to check, it idles at 600rpm when in neutral and approx 800rpm when in gear. I am unsure of the work quality of the people who did the headgasket and what parts were used. Just have the invoice of the repair bill.

Keep remembering other bits, they also replaced the timing chain. At approx 199k miles, same time as the headgasket.

4) rpm is around 550-600

The knocking could be a number of things. Let's start simple and cheap and go expensive:

1) Idler pulley on belts
2) Spark Plug not seated properly
3) Exhaust leak
4) Power Steering Pump gear tooth marred causing a noise
5) Timing Chain tensioner out of spec causing slap
6) Timing chain slipper/guide making noise
7) Low oil pressure causing rod bearings and main bearings to fail
8) Wrist pin slap due to over revving and low oil pressure

Get a mechanics stethoscope and check various areas to test for noise while it's running.

Pull your belts and run it to see if the noise disappears.

Check to make sure the Harmonic Balancer nut is torques to 304 LB-FT. This is VERY important, as that is what drives the oil pump to feed the engine. If the PO has had it off and didn't properly re-torque it, you could be getting low oil pressure and bearing failure.

Never trust a PO.

Second video sounds WAY better, however, it does sound to me that you may have idler pulley issues.

Also, make sure the belts are NOT the cogged style or they will make horrendous noise. Actual Toyota belts are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Remove the belts to see if some of the noises go away.

Then properly tension the belts. They do need to be tight.

Need a 14mm deep well socket and ratchet, and a 12mm ratcheting combination wrench to do the alternator belts. I don't recall the tools for the AC belt and idler.

Second video sounds WAY better, however, it does sound to me that you may have idler pulley issues.

Also, make sure the belts are NOT the cogged style or they will make horrendous noise. Actual Toyota belts are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Remove the belts to see if some of the noises go away.

Then properly tension the belts. They do need to be tight.

Need a 14mm deep well socket and ratchet, and a 12mm ratcheting combination wrench to do the alternator belts. I don't recall the tools for the AC belt and idler.
Thank you so much for the response, have put this on other forums and people just taking the piss. I will do all the things you have said in that order and will update if I fix it. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for the response, have put this on other forums and people just taking the piss. I will do all the things you have said in that order and will update if I fix it. Thanks again!
What is your mechanical ability and intent?

I assume you have lots of modification restrictions there as well?

There are others here from Spain and such that have very limited modifications they can make and I assume it's the same for London?

What is your mechanical ability and intent?

I assume you have lots of modification restrictions there as well?

There are others here from Spain and such that have very limited modifications they can make and I assume it's the same for London?
I've worked on my own cars for around 5 years, have an mr2 turbo, and a 73 firebird. Have done most things apart from remove an and disassemble and engine. No real restrictions over here, aslong as it passes our yearly inspection which is mainly about condition rather than illegal mods it fine. It's got 33s on it, would like to put an 2 inch lift, maybe 35s and just use it as an offroader and a when I need a bigger car from time to time.

I've worked on my own cars for around 5 years, have an mr2 turbo, and a 73 firebird. Have done most things apart from remove an and disassemble and engine. No real restrictions over here, aslong as it passes our yearly inspection which is mainly about condition rather than illegal mods it fine. It's got 33s on it, would like to put an 2 inch lift, maybe 35s and just use it as an offroader and a when I need a bigger car from time to time.
You will find on this forum that most are very helpful.

There are a few (me included) that will bag on you about something and give you a hard time.

Put on your big girl panties, don't take it personal, give it when offered, say please and thank you as well as FU.

Learn the search function, as there is nothing you can ask about your truck that hasn't already been asked. If you don't know, say so.

If you can't find it, ask where.

Realize that most of the folks on here are USA based and we did not get the same trucks and options the rest of the world got.

Welcome!

You will find on this forum that most are very helpful.

There are a few (me included) that will bag on you about something and give you a hard time.

Put on your big girl panties, don't take it personal, give it when offered, say please and thank you as well as FU.

Learn the search function, as there is nothing you can ask about your truck that hasn't already been asked. If you don't know, say so.

If you can't find it, ask where.

Realize that most of the folks on here are USA based and we did not get the same trucks and options the rest of the world got.

Welcome!
Hey there, FU. :rofl:

Also, use google for searching, it's actually better.

Search like this:

2021-02-26_14-20-27.png

Yep!

Have literally fixed the issue completely about 2 days ago. The fix cost me £30.

New belts that are the smooth original type is all I changed and all noises stopped.

After all the panic it was such a simple fix.
Many thanks to the original person who replied as I followed their advice and it saved me a serious amount of time and money.

Truck is running smooth and all is good!

Yep!

Have literally fixed the issue completely about 2 days ago. The fix cost me £30.

New belts that are the smooth original type is all I changed and all noises stopped.

After all the panic it was such a simple fix.
Many thanks to the original person who replied as I followed their advice and it saved me a serious amount of time and money.

Truck is running smooth and all is good!
Perfect!

Quick question did the noise suddenly start one day? Or did it gradually get louder? Dealing with a very similar sound over here is why i ask.

Thanks,

Perfect!

Quick question did the noise suddenly start one day? Or did it gradually get louder? Dealing with a very similar sound over here is why i ask.

Thanks,
The noise just came up one day , never got louder or quieter. I found that on the one of my belts I had two "teeth" missing from them , it was most likely the gap in the belt causing the noise but it honestly sounded like it was coming from the bottom end. Let me know if you have any other questions

The noise just came up one day , never got louder or quieter. I found that on the one of my belts I had two "teeth" missing from them , it was most likely the gap in the belt causing the noise but it honestly sounded like it was coming from the bottom end. Let me know if you have any other questions
Thanks man, unfortunately no such luck on my end. Took the belts off last night and still have the knock... Guess it's on to the rest of the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom