94 Non-Locked Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I would start my first build thread to document everything. Starting with a 94 non-locked with 278,000coming out of Tucson.. Truck will be going out to Mississippi for a few years till it ends up in Show Low, Az in a few years. Bought the vehicle 6 months ago, but was finally able to lay my hands on it last week due to COVID 😷. Had to go back to work, but will be trailering it after Christmas. Here are some pics and what was able to accomplish in a few days.

7C042B52-6A62-4C48-B88C-CD51B13072B4.jpeg

9EA93609-99C8-4FCF-9938-886EF8C86B5B.jpeg

734E7472-2B99-4B55-B88B-D2A695EC8589.jpeg

98FF25EB-5542-45A9-B2B8-6087ACF7EBFD.jpeg

59C2AC00-5291-461C-BAC9-81F9FA46E400.jpeg

changed the oil at 275,xxx. Added safari snorkel. Ran wire and stripped/ cleaned interior. Added all accessories to support 2nd Batt and relocated washer. Wired power to both sides of rear quarter panels. Replaced rear shocks with OME L’s (old ones had no bottom bushings). Added 4inch extended brake lines. Added a whole lot of wit’s end products and delta VS. Also changed fuel filter and air filter back to OEM. Also added center diff lock switch and bleed new fluid through all brake lines and LSPV. Not to mention the bowfin rack up top.
Vehicle is sitting on worn 315’s with 863 rears, not sure on the front springs. Also has a Kaymar rear bumper.
Plan in the future is to replace worn suspension parts and possibly going to J’s. Wanting to fit 37’s eventually and already have nitro 5.29s sitting in that parts pile. Other than that, continue the baseline while upgrading. I have a few years left till retirement and when the kids can really go out and enjoy camping.
Last pic for now...

4D5D1463-B8E4-4DBE-A0D2-140786760B20.jpeg

Last edited:
... continue the baseline while upgrading.
This is critical. Worn drive train bushes/bearings will lay waste to a well thought out upgrade plan of tires, suspension mods, etc. Neglected maintenance will leave you looking great stranded.
There are many threads and opinions on the viability of non-locked rig setups. They can be moved to the bottom of the list if you like, but that 'one time' is all it will take to move them to the top. And they are not economical to address if the truck didn't come with them. Of course that's relative too I suppose. Hope a winch is in the cards, even a rear one as I believe that is the first 80 I've seen with a rear swing out and factory front.

In either case, love the 'both feet' approach. You will 'get there' kicking and screaming dangit! lol
Best parts - the two-tone rack treatment is a nice touch. Tho is that just reflection? Only see it on one side.
Also the cargo barrier- suggesting the intention to keep second row seating? That will prove a challenge if overlanding (renewable air/power/water) is a goal. I did the same thing and feel it delayed my build somewhat due to really having to think several steps ahead in build-out design. It is enjoyable but dam. A a years worth of weekends sucked up wondering if it will ever get finished. (and I'm trying to stay period-correct - carpet on plywood - 1980's caveman style lol)

If you haven't installed the 5.29's yet, suggest you throw in Harrop E-lockers when you do, if you can afford it. Perfect time to accomplish this if it's on your list of things to do. Zuk at gearinstalls.com will do it right the 1st time for peace of mind.

Killer build so far! thats a true plethra of parts! Wondering if you found a solution for your radio atenna after you installed the snorkel? also wondering were you picked it up from?

Also intersted in selling those Yakima towers and bar? i know someone who would be very keen to pick them up!

@JM74, I am willing to let go of the Yakima bars, but will have to wait on that due to me being away from the 80 for 2 months. Still no solution for the antenna, but it was an aftermarket antenna so just pulled it out and will deal with it later. Snorkel I picked it up from Kurt @ cruiser outfitters.

@JM74, I am willing to let go of the Yakima bars, but will have to wait on that due to me being away from the 80 for 2 months. Still no solution for the antenna, but it was an aftermarket antenna so just pulled it out and will deal with it later. Snorkel I picked it up from Kurt @ cruiser outfitters.

Sounds good, PM me about the bars. Sweet just picked mine up from Kurt as-well, excited / nervous to install, it’s been a while since I installed a snorkel haha

Sounds good, PM me about the bars. Sweet just picked mine up from Kurt as-well, excited / nervous to install, it’s been a while since I installed a snorkel haha
Will do! It was my first snorkel install. Measure twice and cut once! Couldn’t get to the furthest attachment bolt.. I need someone with long and skinny arms before I make another attempt. It’s rock solid though without it. Once I got the lower housing fitted, I used VHB tape on the bracket to ensure proper placement on the pillar. Good luck with the install!

Just rolled over 275,XXX. Added front bumper and overhead storage in cargo area. About to start the journey to MS tomorrow. Unfortunately adding the front bumper saw the front frame rail was bent. Hopefully nothing major, but will examine more out once I’m get back home.

CA00BFA0-3624-44EB-85F2-66D55E5DE032.jpeg

53EAA69B-80BF-4A18-AD99-76A2EAA371D8.jpeg

Will post more pics later.. Added Dobinsons adjustable front and rear panhards; OME steering stabilizer; Delta VS rear panhard bracket. Waiting on a few more suspension components and need to order a few more items when some $$$ is available.. Got tons of parts to hang till then.. Just rolled over 276,xxx.

Added second battery box; changed transfer case oil and front+ rear diffs. Got a front knuckle rebuild planned, but couldn’t justify driving around on some extremely old oil. Also added a new drain plug for each axel and a sweet TEQ oil cap.. also paid homage to my P-pump with some key chains from Joey. More planned next weekend. 276,xxx miles

2A1086EA-7393-42DB-890D-38936C8CF049.jpeg

With homage paid, don't forget to loop back on the two ports on the EGR vacuum modulator (small can, passenger side of EGR valve) and the two pipes that those two hoses connect to - the other end of one which you have already plugged up by water pump.

Been a while since I updated this. Haven’t really been driving it, just adding more to the build. Since last post I’ve added LCP sway bar disconnects and severe duty rear links. Did a drain and refill on the transmission and started building some rear storage. After the J springs I’m 1” lower up front than the rear. Ordered some Poly spacers and bump stop spacers from Kurt. Also got the alignment checked to see where I was at with caster. Next big purchase will some Delta front arms

9367987C-DDAF-4F80-A21F-189ECB79E17F.jpeg

Also forgot to add, before I paid homage to the P-pump, I used the EGR temp test kit from Hudd expo.... planning a party for the kid in June. Wife said we need some awnings for shade.. I said “I got this covered”. So just got my awning brackets in front Patrick at Bowfin Cruisers. Getting the awning in a few months;)

Just recently stained the rear storage to keep the moisture at bay.. I don’t really like how dark it came out, but what’s done is done..Added Huracan Fab tailgate storage.. Easy upgrade, only wish the material used was a little more heavy duty. Also re-covered back row seat bottoms with Lseat seat covers.. fit is ok. Know for the future I don’t ever want to work in upholstery. Also fixed both floppy mirrors using the wit’s end floppy mirror fix..excellent product!

2A47CB2A-68CB-44E9-ACDB-AFE980DB497E.jpeg

1B42DC34-37D1-4284-BAF0-FBF850BD70C4.jpeg

7C4F38DC-1017-446F-A8A7-59CC47A68B8D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom