93 transmission question(s) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A little history.... I purchased a '93 fzj a little over a year ago and about 6 months later I began to notice some "slipping" issues. Fast forward to early december of 08. I had the transmission replaced with a used 100K unit. None of the previous issues exist anymore, but I have a few new ones and about a month left on the warranty. 1) When manually shifted into 1st, the transmission shifts out into second gear at the normal point it would when in "D". 2) After starting and shifting directly into "D", the vehicle is extremely sluggish, almost as if the parking brake is on. (No, the parking brake is not on...) But if you were to shift directly into "R" and back up a ways, then shift into "D", there usually isn't a problem. Warm or cold, it doesn't seem to matter.

So, I have searched and didn't see anything that truly matched my issues. The transmission shop said that there is no mechanical linkage on this auto and the shifts are all controlled by the ECU. I thought that maybe they didn't get a cable or some linkage put back right as these problems didn't exist before. Do I need to get out a paper clip and check the codes??? Would there be one/any? Could the transmission ECU? be part of the problem?

Thanks,
Blue 60

I do have the FSM and transmission repair manual if that helps...

do the recommended test/instalation for the shift cable(kick down cable)
the cables are sensitive to adjustment, they can cause some funny symptoms.
usually we just replace them because they wear and dont work correctly

the transmission is almost entirely mechanically controlled

at most the ECU/TCU controls lockup of the converter

It sounds like the kick down cable is in need of more fine tuning. (I really don't think the tranny ECU is part of the problem.)
The '93 does have 4 solenoids controlling the shifting. Running the codes will tell you if you have a problem with one of them.

busy

Anyone know where to look for the shift cable adjustment/test pages are in the FSM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom