91’ LJ78 Electrical problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My LJ78 Prado recently underwent a rebuilt alternator installation. When I was driving the vehicle after the installation for maybe 15 minutes it was great, battery gauge high no problems. I drove her again after cutting the engine and all of a sudden a high pitch beeping noise came on and all of the instrument cluster lights were fully illuminated. After cutting the engine I popped the hood to find a loose negative battery connection, so I tightened it down. Started again and the beeping and lights were gone, but after all of that the electrical system is worse than when I had a faulty alternator. Low battery gauge when driving and it drops below low range after only around 10 minutes of driving. And that was after I charged the battery to completion. Now it’s dead in its parking spot.

Some possible culprits:
8 in 400 W subwoofer- after installing it that’s when the old alternator started to give out. But I’ve disconnected it and the truck was still having problems.

Gunk in diagnostic port (picture attached)- not sure what this gunk is, I just found it today. Maybe if I clean it out with electrical cleaner everything will be fine? Wishful thinking.

Faulty installation on the rebuilt alternator- My mechanic didn’t have any references or wiring diagrams available when he installed the alternator. He also stated the black plastic notches on the old alternator (picture attached) were not present on the rebuilt one.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Owning this vehicle is so stressful.

509D18AD-C413-4CF8-830E-EB53DC7216F2.jpeg

FDADA4D3-F4A2-4481-AB06-3CE49D1DBDDC.jpeg

9FA1122A-17A9-43EF-949C-7EA659A4A021.jpeg

AB9A0E07-6F46-4C64-96AC-A0AA863BB920.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom