90 Day LV Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rob, I found a pic of when I unearthed this relic,send me your email address and I will send a pic of where this thing sat for 20 plus years!:beer:

So this is where it all began :clap: Quote from Whitey "Rob, I guess this explains the clam shells and fish bone...Gum Tree farm Mate! The lv was where the tractor is in the photo,and yes the tractor was needed big time.Tires were locked up and 6inches under the mud.My 8klb winch did'nt have a chance...anyway its fun watching the transformation...Have a great weekend!! YT " Thanks and hope you dont mind me sharing the story
small_vanagon 072.jpg
small_vanagon 074.jpg
small_vanagon 075.jpg

Last edited:
Right now we are about 2 weeks into this and I really felt we were doing good, I also wanted to get the front axle pulled and my new best friend ( Mr Torch ) and I got busy
small_DSCN0305.JPG
small_DSCN0306.JPG
small_DSCN0312.JPG

I was starting to get a better look at things and pulling off big chunks made me think this was going to be easyer than I thought :crybaby: Wrong. I was calling Tony daily and giving him updates ( I could tell by his voice he was happy we were still friends :D ) By this time I call called Georg ( orange45 ) and Gene ( Land Cruiser Junkey ) and told them what was going on , parts and support were offered without question, Also Dan ( Danimal ) was on board and ready to mudship what I needed. The other Rob ( Calstyl2 ) was digging thru his garage looking for parts laughing at what I had started
small_DSCN0307.JPG
small_DSCN0308.JPG

We had alot going on at once but I had to find time to get this done, another week went by which was spent pulling off everything in the engine compartment, So was could start sand blasting, Things picked up at work so inbetween shifes I would spend a couple of hours a day getting the small stuff done Like cleaning out all the spring hangers with a dremel. time consuming but necessary, Breaking down the transfer case , I called Georg at this point and had some questions about the T-Case and Vacuum actuator for engaging the 4X4 next thing I know there was a complete rebuild kit on the way from Valley Hybrids , I starting ordering parts like E-Brake shoes and seals. and just did what I could when I could.
small_DSCN0295.JPG
small_DSCN0294.JPG

LV

I had the following Monday off so that was the day we picked to start sand blasting , We started early and Will talked his budy Ben into coming over and helping. :D This was a LONG day but it had to be done because I was still worried about the frame itself. 6 hours and 250 lbs of sand Later things were looking good
small_DSCN0325.JPG
small_DSCN0324.JPG
small_DSCN0327.JPG

The frame was intact and solid :clap: Things were a GO :grinpimp: While we had the sand pot out we went ahead and took care of some other items, The boys did a Great job and I was ready for the next phase.
small_DSCN0335.JPG
small_DSCN0332.JPG
small_DSCN0330.JPG

Oh yea I was tired LOL it was a long day but well worth it, Another couple of hours cleaning up all the sand and I was done ,
small_DSCN0328.JPG

LV

OK here's where I might lose a few Cruiser Purest :grinpimp: I was back to work but still had a few hours everyday to get something done. I wanted to do something about the hard top :hmm: So after sitting there staring at it I came up with this idea. I only had to fill it in to keep the air and rain ( I know rain ) out and still stiffen up the sides.

• I started by going to the local hardware shop andgetting a few cans of Great Stuff expanding foam. I filled in the top and gave it a day to dry and harden
small_DSCN0313.JPG
small_DSCN0314.JPG
small_DSCN0315.JPG

(Shaking my head)

Well, it does say "fills cracks and gaps", and you sure as hell had cracks and gaps.

That foam is a last resort patching measure. But looking at the roof, what other choice is there besides full replacement.

Looking good Rob, and waiting for more. :beer:
Kudos to the boys too.

p.s. you where looking bad in pic at the end of the sand blasting day:D

(Shaking my head)

Well, it does say "fills cracks and gaps", and you sure as hell had cracks and gaps.

That foam is a last resort patching measure. But looking at the roof, what other choice is there besides full replacement.

Looking good Rob, and waiting for more. :beer:
Kudos to the boys too.

p.s. you where looking bad in pic at the end of the sand blasting day:D

LOL yes it fills everything :grinpimp: later n in the story the roof has a happy ending , After letting it dry over night I went back with a knife and shaved it down, started sanding until I got it close, I was surprised and happy to find it also strengthened the top in several places.
small_DSCN0317.JPG
small_DSCN0318.JPG
small_DSCN0319.JPG

Then I got out some fiberglass cloth and pour-15 , I cut some strips and after painting a coat over the foam and existing metal i layed the fiberglass over it allowed it to dry then painted another 2 coats over the fiberglass cloth, This wa a quick fix in order to get the LV to the 45 Run, and YES Kevin I was beat up after a day of sand blasting
small_DSCN0320.JPG
small_DSCN0321.JPG
small_DSCN0323.JPG

Hmmm - POR15 and fiberglass cloth...never thought of that one!

Did you put any POR15 on the underside of the roof before the expanda foam? Or are you planning on a more long-term fix of the roof later?

2 coats of pour-15 ( and Aaron did a Great Job ) I waited for that to dry for a day. I then went back with a drill motor and 3M sanding wheel and cleaned up the high spots, Also I would spend time woking on other items preping, sanding, grinding and painting and rebuilding so I could have everyhing ready once we had everthing cut off the frame
small_DSCN0331.JPG
small_DSCN0333.JPG
small_DSCN0334.JPG

Hmmm - POR15 and fiberglass cloth...never thought of that one!

Did you put any POR15 on the underside of the roof before the expanda foam? Or are you planning on a more long-term fix of the roof later?

No just sprayed the foam into the cracks I am still amaized at how strong the roof is now. I have used this before on smalled body patches it really works great and you can sand it down after its dryed, There will be long term fix later on in the story :D

I'd love to know how this process went down. My LV was last registered in Montana in the 80's. It's going to need Ca. tags some day.

I will get into that later I promise :grinpimp: While I was working on the top :lol: The other Rob ( Calstyl2 ) told me he had some axles from a 55 project he could donate, Cool ! So we went over and got those picked up I guess once he stopped laughing he realized I was serious ! Thanks Brother :cheers: Again I power washed the axles and housings, replace the pinon seals, I also went down and picked up some Black paint and took some time to get a coat in some of the stuff we had sand blasted ,
small_DSCN0309.JPG
small_DSCN0346.JPG
small_DSCN0348.JPG

Hours were spent scraping and cleaning out all the dirt and dried oil on the frame getting it preped for paint, Here are a few pics, I went back and had to put another coat on, I was happy :) At this point I was painting, cleaning axles, digging out parts from my trailer ( Front springs ) and looking weeks down the road planning what I might need :hmm: Calling Dan, Tony, Rob, Gene, and Georg with updates and a parts wish list's
small_DSCN0336.JPG
small_DSCN0337.JPG
small_DSCN0338.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom