88 FJ62 dents with roof/hood fade - suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I just picked up this 88 FJ62. I'm going do a cut and polish for now, but there are a few dents, clear coat issues, and rust spots that I'll need at address down the road.

Here's a link to some pictures I took to highlight the problem areas: It was a bit wet out so it may seem shinier than normal, but overall I think the paint is in decent shape and it should spruce up a bit with a polish.

I wouldn't be opposed to a full repaint + new seals gig, I think blending the roof and hood might be difficult for a shop. I'd be looking at a budget of $2500-$3000 for the paint and bodywork since I want to hold onto this one till the wheels fall off.

With a goal of DD quality paint, what budget should I set for a reasonable paint job from a shop? Also, any Raleigh NC body shop recommendations would be welcome.

Many factors to consider here, could range widely depending on the conditions of the paint/body. The process is a lot more labor intensive than people think, plus all of the paint/primer/sealer and other supplies. I’d say 4-5k minimum if you want it done right. That’s 30+ hours labor and material. Family or small business are better than chains IMO but may take longer. Resto projects are second to insurance claims too so a lot of shops won’t touch it.
Nice looking Rig congrats

Could be just me but that does not look like a stock toyota color. Check the VIN plate inside the engine bay and it should show the paint code.
For the smaller, none rust dents I would look at doing one of the paintless dent removal systems and try pulling them yourself. Fun little project for you to do if you have the time and inclination.
For painting, @rghouse is about right. Look at $5k+ for a decent to good paint job from a local shop. There is a lot of work in removing emblems, taping off, etc. I recently did this to my truck and just the prep work alone (removing and scuffing surface) was close to 18hrs worth of work over a couple days. I did not do nearly as good a job as a shop would have because I did not spend the amount of time they would have to paint. Painting was the quickest and easiest portion but the job is only as good as the prep done.

After I did a cut and polish, I found that the truck had previously had a poor quality Macco type paint job with plenty of overspray, drips, and uneaven clear coat.

After checking the VIN, this is a 153 Grey truck originally, so I think this is a poor attempt to get the other darker/bluer grey.

I’ll probably pick up some PDR kit and try my best to get the dings out, but the paint isn’t worth saving.

How much prep work can I do myself as a relative beginner?

Last edited:
After I did a cut and polish, I found that the truck had previously had a poor quality Macco type paint job with plenty of overspray, drips, and uneaven clear coat.

After checking the VIN, this is a 153 Grey truck originally, so I think this is a poor attempt to get the other darker/bluer grey.

I’ll probably pick up some PDR kit and try my best to get the dings out, but the paint isn’t worth saving.

How much prep work can I do myself as a relative beginner?
Did you ever find a shop for this?

Ah ok. They have come across as a bit, ahem, aloof when I've spoken to them previously. Let me know how it goes.
I think it’s that way on purpose, they’re booked out nearly a year and a half now. I’ve been working with them for a long time so it’s more familiar to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom