'83 FJ60- Dizzy Recurve- Can anyone demystify this process? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Recurve is meant for a desmogged vehicle although I imagine the little nylon bushing on the pin would be a worthy addition cuz yours might be gone. Replace it w/ the aluminum one as explained in Dave’s thread on recurve for $17.

Last edited:
I’m attempting to do the home brew distributor recurve for my “no bs” 2F today. I’ll let you know how it goes.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I know they are pricy but what about a DUI distributor
Not recommend for the 2F just as a Weber isn’t the best course to go either.

Ok but why
If the truck was meant to use a Weber or a dui, it would have been built w/ them installed. I’m no expert by any means and have only learned through the help of this forum but I do it all myself in my driveway w/ basic tools. Use the search bar and simply read the number of threads where folks are trying to make them work for the 2F. I’ve been on mud since 2010 but have had a 60 in my life since 2008, I’ve read ALOT and the majority of what I’ve read spelled out difficulty.

If the truck was meant to use a Weber or a dui, it would have been built w/ them installed. I’m no expert by any means and have only learned through the help of this forum but I do it all myself in my driveway w/ basic tools. Use the search bar and simply read the number of threads where folks are trying to make them work for the 2F. I’ve been on mud since 2010 but have had a 60 in my life since 2008, I’ve read ALOT and the majority of what I’ve read spelled out difficulty.
Thank you. If my truck has to stay smogged because I live Cali is there any up grades or anything I could do to a stock distributor to help performance. Thanks

Thank you. If my truck has to stay smogged because I live Cali is there any up grades or anything I could do to a stock distributor to help performance. Thanks
Not really, with all the smog stuff on there that is the main robber of power for the entire system. If you are on in Cali and planning on staying with the truck and the state then start saving your pennies for an engine swap. That is the only real way that you are going to be able to get any performance increase.... legally.

Not really, with all the smog stuff on there that is the main robber of power for the entire system. If you are on in Cali and planning on staying with the truck and the state then start saving your pennies for an engine swap. That is the only real way that you are going to be able to get any performance increase.... legally.
The country I live in I only have to pass smog when I bought the cruiser which it did. And if I sell it. I'm thinking of doing the desmog but with my luck as soo as I'm done the laws will change and I'll have to smog it every couple of years. Engine swap is way out of my price range and I personally like the simplicity of the 2f

Somebody told me that recurving didn't require any knowledge or machine. Just put the springs in listed in this thread and it will be great.
Well, that sounds nice. Time to get the MSD springs and install.... and gather data. (Boo! Go away, facts.)

The chart shows test plots of 4 different springs in an FJ60 dissy.
The stock curve has a little too much advance in the critical 900-1200 RPM range, then hits the too sharp knee point to kill power at higher RPM.
A recurved desmog dissy has the advance pulled back at the torque peak, but then lets it fully unwind as redline approaches.
Then there's the MSD springs. They essentially lock out timing advance at any normal RPM resulting in a couple degrees of retard due to ignitor latency at high speeds.

TLDR: sticking the MSD springs in an FJ60 dissy is an engine killer.

1667455715814.png

Somebody told me that recurving didn't require any knowledge or machine. Just put the springs in listed in this thread and it will be great.
Well, that sounds nice. Time to get the MSD springs and install.... and gather data. (Boo! Go away, facts.)

The chart shows test plots of 4 different springs in an FJ60 dissy.
The stock curve has a little too much advance in the critical 900-1200 RPM range, then hits the too sharp knee point to kill power at higher RPM.
A recurved desmog dissy has the advance pulled back at the torque peak, but then lets it fully unwind as redline approaches.
Then there's the MSD springs. They essentially lock out timing advance at any normal RPM resulting in a couple degrees of retard due to ignitor latency at high speeds.

TLDR: sticking the MSD springs in an FJ60 dissy is an engine killer.

View attachment 3157819

How should people contact you to get their dizzy recurved? I have a desmogged 2f that would love a recurved dizzy. Mud won’t let me send you a message, so I’m guessing your inbox is full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom