80s with 6BTs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zjohnsonua

SILVER Star
Threads
I've seen a LOT of threads about 6BTs being swapped into seemingly everything under the sun, including 80s. But I've seen none of the 80 threads, or 60 threads for that matter, that give first hand insight to driveline mechanical durability over time after the swap so I wanted to see what kind of input we could get here.

Those of you that have done this swap and gone on to work the truck hard, what kind of mileage have you racked up and what have you noticed needing repair? For those of you that have gone on to re-gear or go into the thirds for who-knows-why, what did the pinion bearings look like?

Not enough info in the sticky?

Lots of good info in there, but I didn't see what I was looking for. I ran searches in there for the parts I was wondering about and nothing really popped up, thus this thread. Then again, maybe I should've poked that thread to try and get this info going there rather than make a new one. :hmm:

Someone else actually broached this subject in that thread in the last couple hours. Additionally, almost all of the individual threads address this issue more or less. As long as you keep it civil, there haven’t been many issues.

Edit: In perusing the threads (my interpretation) there seems to be less drama using the HF2AV over the split case. I think the AWD keeps the axles and all the other parts happier. And the split cases seem to leak a lot. That might be a moot point, but who knows. I personally have zero interest in going part time.

I knew I wasn't the only one interested in the question, too bad I missed LT1's post before opening this can of worms.

As for keeping the throttle civil, why put that kind of power in it if you're not going to use it? I know first hand that once you feel that wave of torque, you're unlikely to let off it. It's that fun factor that makes me wonder about those pinion bearings over time. The HF2A certainly helps spread out the work, but doubling the torque doesn't come without a price somewhere. Thus my question about their health over time.

Unless it’s a “built” motor 12 valves aren’t really a very powerful engine. It’s not like every 6b lays down 1000ftlbs.

They all left Indiana with at least 400 lb-ft, far more than the 1FZ ever put down. And they can break 500 with a few minutes with simple hand tools as well - which I'd bargain more than a few swappers have done.

‘Getting into it’ isn’t the issue. It’s getting wheel hop, and things like that and leaving it hammered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom