80 vs 4runner - which is better? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For serious wheeling and cargo carrying the Cruiser is the better rig imho. We were looking at a 4runner, but wanted more cargo room, so the '93 LC it was.

4runners are really nice trucks, but not quite a Land Cruiser.

I bought a 2000 4Runner new with a 5spd built it up and sold it when it had 60k on it so I could buy a 94 cruiser that had 133k on it--I think the cruiser will be the better vehicle in the long run--they still sell the 80 in central/south America. I use mine in Mexico--bought it for the outstanding reliability. My vote is for the cruiser ;)

IMHO, I would take the 93 LC anyday especially equipped with the FR/RR diff locks. I have 4Runner, LX 450, and a Tacoma. The 4runner runs fine and between the LX and 4R, the gas mileage consumption is almost the same. Say, go for the LC, and you won't regret your decision. Just my .02 cents.

I have owned a 95' 4Runner (V6 3.0L, old underpowerd engine) since almost new and now a 96' 80 and they are both awesome vehicles. The 4Runner was great on tight trails, but trying to get 3 adults in the back seat comfortably is near impossible. The 80 is much wider and 3 adults can sit comfortably in the back and also you have the 3rd row if equipped.

If you are going to do serious off-roading the sold front axle on the 80 will give you more flex and out perform the 4Runners IFS.

My 4Runner was exceptionally reliable for the 160k I owned it and I am figuring the LC will be the same (just purchased 12/04).

You need to ask yourself what will you be using the vehicle for. The 4Runner will give you slightly better gas mileage, but the 80 will give you more room for hauling people and cargo, plus exceptional off-road ability. My 80 feels like I am driving a Sherman tank and I know it has been designed to be used worldwide under extreme conditions.

Best of luck,

Russell :cheers:

Biff said:
I have a 4th gen 4runner, and my 94 lc. If I had to do it all over again, I would have looked for a pristine condition 80(30-40k miles) instead of dropping $30k on a new runner. Now I have a good rig 160k miles on it and my 4runner. I prefer my 80 to my newer v8 runner.

Your 4th gen is 2wd right Victor?

Aspen,
Same price, same miles, same condition. I would pick #2

sonoranfun said:
There is no s*** way in hell I would pay more money for a 4bummer (I'm having fun with those) then a cruiser!
That is an awesome statement! :D Not only "no s*** way", but "not s*** way in hell"...hahah :D

This is a no brainer!

Front AND rear Lockers - AND central locker
Solid Front Axle

Based on that alone it is a no brainer. If you ever wheeled an IFS vehicle, and then wheeled a SFA vehicle, you will understand.

FirstToy said:
Your 4th gen is 2wd right Victor?

I know, I know its not the same rig. but I still dropped a bundle, which would have been better spent on a locked pristine 80. Just my .02 cents

Last edited:
Tread hijack-

Hey Biff-

What exactly is a Stock Spare Tire Winch $ 30?

it's the crank that brings the spare wheel up. Folks who buy certain aftermarket bumpers don't need them anymore. Other folks (like me) have nasty rusty ones they need to replace.

phatairman said:
Tread hijack-

Hey Biff-

What exactly is a Stock Spare Tire Winch $ 30?

PM Would probably be quicker :rolleyes:

I've driven both and I like my FJ80 over the 4Runner. Land Cruiser is a better vehicle but either way you getting a good rig.

AspenFJ40 said:
And I posted a pic of the locker situation, I'll post again here - but someone mentioned there was no airbag!? True? Kevin

Kevin, that was me on your last thread about this vehicle. You had not posted what year it was, but since it had lockers and the steering wheel was of the non-airbagged persuasion, I deducted that it was either a 93 or 94. 91/92 didn't have F&R lockers and 95-97 had hairbags.

No comparison here - the 4Runner is a 4Runner and a Land Cruiser is a Land Cruiser - the Land Cruiser is far more meaty and hardcore than the 4Runner. Go with the LC - you'll regret it otherwise.

My bro has a '97 4runner and he likes it. Its got the locking rear diff, leather etc. It is very car-like though. I find you sit lower (in the seat) and the dashboard seems high and the roof low, making the vieweable area smaller. Off road, I KILL him with my 95 LC. He struggles locked where I dont with open diffs. His towing weight rating is 5000lbs, same as the LC (which I really dont understand because Ive got 25% more motor/torque/brakes). His truck is very car-like, LC is trucky. LC has more space, and is sooooo much more roomy. I think you know which one I'd buy...

Hope this helps.

4Runner is a good vehicle.. a very good vehicle.. but my friend. having been in your situation less than a year ago... the only thing the 4Runner has on the Land Cruiser is 1-3 MPG (depending on the mods to each vehicle). in every other catagory i'd give the nod to the Land Cruiser. After getting the Land Cruiser I stumbled upon a very nice 4Runner and thought.. as nice as it would be to have both (for my wife and I)... with both vehicles in the same barn.. the 4Runner would just be out done so a "sporty car" was a better route to go. Anyway.. while the 4Runner is a good vehicle.. the FZJ80 is a Great Vehicle... one for the record books...

Posted by elum
Anyway.. while the 4Runner is a good vehicle.. the FZJ80 is a Great Vehicle... one for the record books...

Very well said and if we have not convince this guy (the buyer), he'll regret it at the end.

4x4CPOSEADOG said:
Very well said and if we have not convince this guy (the buyer), he'll regret it at the end.

Yes, yes, I (the buyer)get it!!!

Thanks everyone for their help and opinions - I'm still figuring it out with the owner of the 80. I've PM'd a few of you, but the issue with the 80 is with the birfields and AC. It doesn't sound great - he's been just jamming in thick grease into the knuckles but he admits the "clicking can only be heard when your turning at higher speeds" Hmm.

Also, his son-in-law has been dumping freon in theR12 AC system - no mention if it was R12...Hmmm.

So, I'm cautious, but if you guys think it's worth his asking price of $7000, I'm still game to join the 80 club. Otherwise, I'm buying a freakin' 60 at half the price and spending the extra $$ on mods!!!!!

:grinpimp:

Thanks again everyone - great resource this board!!!
:cheers:
Kevin
77 FJ40 2F currently...and...

As i mention in a earlier post, I would go the 80, but I think that I would avoid this one.

Things like "jamming in thick grease into the knuckles" and "his son-in-law has been dumping freon in theR12 AC system - no mention if it was R12" don't exactly convince me that the truck has been very well maintained.

You have to wonder what other problems there are on the rig that have been addressed this way.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom