80 research

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm selling my 62 because I want an 80 since I have a 15 month old little girl and 80's have more safety features.

1)There are two different engines, right? Which one is best and in what year did the 4.5 start being manufactured.
2) What things specific to 80s do I need to stay away from?
3)Where is the factory locker button located so I can tell if the candidate has one or not?. (I'm sure factory lockers are more thatn adequate for what I'm using the rig for - commuting)
4)What is most important when looking for an 80?

My price range is likely under 6,000 depending on how well I do on my 62.

80 Series Land Cruiser - Front Bumper

Several recent threads as well. Kinda have to read thru all the chat about how my year is the best year LOL, but there is viable info in them.

I have an 91 its been trouble free,it tows all the time.We have 5 kids---no problem.2 cents Mike

Yeah, as soon as I posted this I found the 80 newbie links. I over look stuff when Im cruising this site on my cell phone. Thanks for help guys

Two 1992 FJ80's, no problems.:)

it sounds like you are looking to go plush in your upgrade. therefore, look at a 96 or 97, ideally with lower mileage and a good service history so you know what you'll need to PM immediately to make it as reliable as you expect your 80 to be for family transport duties.

I say 96 or 97 because they are the last two years the 80 was made and therefore have the most bugs worked out (not that there were many to begin with), and some additional features like OBD-II hook-ups to pull codes. Also, you'll get that 4.5 litre inline 6 you referred to under the hood :D.

There are those that would also claim the transmission in later model years is superior to the earlier transmission. I don't know enough to elaborate.

If resale value down the road is important, make sure to buy with the stock locking differentials.

Happy shopping I am sure you will love your future 80 as much as we all do!

1)There are two different engines, right? Which one is best and in what year did the 4.5 start being manufactured.

2 engines available in the US market; the 4L 3FE and the 4.5L 1FZ-FE. The 1FZ-FE is considered a modern engine with 4 valves per cylinder and dual overhead cams. It also has a relatively sophisticated fuel injection system. The 1FZ-FE has much more HP and torque than the 3FE and became the standard engine in the US in 1993.

2) What things specific to 80s do I need to stay away from?

That hideous green colour; 6M1. You'll know it when you see it and start gagging. Other than that, I don't think there is anything that most would recommend that you "stay away from" in any 80-Series. There are years and options that are more desirable. If anything, I would say to stay away from rusty trucks and trucks that were not maintained very well.

3)Where is the factory locker button located so I can tell if the candidate has one or not?.

There is a rotary button to the left of the steering wheel. It is labeled "Diff Lock". I do not advise asking sellers "Is your truck locked?" as you will rarely get an intelligent answer unless the seller is on 'Mud.

4)What is most important when looking for an 80?

Good maintenance and the optional F&R lockers. Nothing else really matters for many of us. If you are interested in safety (and you SHOULD be!!!) then the 95-97 models came with front air bags.

Once you familiarize yourself with the differences from year-to-year you will be able to ask more specific questions like what to look for if you are getting a '93 (ABS, rear disks, FF axle, etc.)

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom