78 prado third brake light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, sorry if i missed it but i couldn't find any information about installing a third brake light above the gutter on my lj78. The light came with everything to install it and i was wondering if anyonre could give me pointers or a video before i start drilling in the roof of my beloved prado lol. i joined a picture of the brake light im talking about.

3rdbl.jpg

Hello,

There are schematics about this light in the Body Electrical section of the FSM.

Not exactly an installation guide, but they are a good guide.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Hey guys, sorry if i missed it but i couldn't find any information about installing a third brake light above the gutter on my lj78. The light came with everything to install it and i was wondering if anyonre could give me pointers or a video before i start drilling in the roof of my beloved prado lol. i joined a picture of the brake light im talking about.

View attachment 3288947
edit: sorry I was thinking you were going to replace an existing one... your adding it where no exist?

I did mine on my 77. looks exactly the same.

for mine I ended up destroying the cover and the gasket, I was not able to get them apart without cutting it apart.

The 2 white circular sockets accept a male bullet head from the cover. it’s not meant to be taken apart IMO. if you’re going to work on it?

purchase the gasket and the cover because your probably going to end up destroying them both anyway. This was my experience.

8157260050.jpg

The 2 white circular sockets accept a male bullet head from the cover. it’s not meant to be taken apart IMO. if you’re going to work on it?

purchase the gasket and the cover because your probably going to end up destroying them both anyway. This was my experience.

You can take it apart but the problem is that the cover gets fused onto the housing by rust over time. I had a heck of a time removing the cover and was able to do so without destroying the cover. Just wasn't easy. It had rusted badly into the white circular socket on the right side.

I ended up getting a new housing and cover altogether. I put grease on the "male bullet head" to try to keep the rust to a minimum this time around.

light1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom