1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

78 2f motor push rods

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by landlord, Aug 15, 2006.

1. landlord

landlord

HI,
    I am rebuilding 1978 2f motor and need some help with the push rods. I have one push rod that is bent so I ordered an oem replacement from a Toyota dealer in my area. The new rod has a much smaller ball on one end and a smaller socket on the opposite end than the original rod that was in my engine. I had the parts department tech double check the part number, He assures me that I have the correct part. Has anybody else come across this problem? Will this much smaller ball and socket on the new push rod work with my rockers and lifters? Thanks for any info!

2. shelfboy1

shelfboy1

those small socket sounds like the older push rods 65 or so the new one had the larger push rods sounds like a problem with part nos or your parts people need to double check there hope this helps

3. landlord

landlord

Thanks shelfboy1, I'll go back to the parts department and have them double check.

4. FJ40Jim

FJ40Jim The Cruiser Whisperer

Media:
    that's the new part

You have gotten the new, superceded lightweight pushrod. All pushrods are the same architecturally, but they get lighter through the years. If possible, get 11 more like that, it will reduce valvetrain noise & wear a little. The final vrsion of pushrod came out in 79 or 80, any newer 2F will have them.

5. landlord

landlord

Thanks Jim! The parts department tech said he has 11 more available so I would like to go ahead and make that upgrade while I have the engine torn down. Will I have to change my rocker arms to fit the smaller sockets on the newer style push rods? Thanks for your replies, they have been helpful.

Patrick

6. FJ40Jim

FJ40Jim The Cruiser Whisperer

Media:
    Nope, no other parts need changed. The tips of the pushrod engage a smaller area of the lifter and rocker arm, but they still fit.

7. jmaddox

jmaddox

Same thing happened to me. I split a push rod in Canada and the NAPA guy ordered one for me from Toyota. It was smaller than the ones I had, but it has been working for almost ten years.

8. landlord

landlord

Thanks fj40jim and jmaddox for the info. I'll go ahead use the newer style push rods.

Pat

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">