76 FJ40 Taillights, Reverse and indicators wire size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My guess would be how limited the grounding was from the factory, plus paint/corrosion, etc. Not defending either side, just thinking through the rationale as I just tore through all of this on my resto. If you look at where most of the WB ground wires get their source a few places here and there but the fuse block is a primary source, on that small body tab.

What I did on my cruiser was not only trace that wire back to the foot of the ignition coil (which sits isolated on paint), but add a "-" battery wire from the terminal to the foot and then ground the battery to both the frame and the block.

That, in theory, should setup the entire body and frame as "once large conductor" as you'd indicated. Then, when grounding the mid section of the rear harness, running additional grounds to each tail light, etc.. all have clean solid grounds.

So, just going out on a limb that maybe he meant what he said because usually things are either dirty, painted, or unreliable in some way.... Just a guess.

I have a ground on the pax side of the frame more or less under the seat area. The fuel level ground is connected there. I sanded that area down, cleaned up the bolt and ring terminals, and applied some dielectric grease, and put it all back together, and used that location for the additional ground on the taillights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom