70 series steering box (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

876 Cruisers

KZJ70/FZJ70/HJ47/FJ80
Threads
Hey all,

Im checking to see if the ps box in the 1999+ models with the coils in the front can work on the pre 1999 models with leaf spring?

I know the pitman arms are different but I dont know if the boxes itself are as they look similar.

Thanks
Dan

Hey all,

Im checking to see if the ps box in the 1999+ models with the coils in the front can work on the pre 1999 models with leaf spring?

I know the pitman arms are different but I dont know if the boxes itself are as they look similar.

Thanks
Dan
Dan, Did you find a new steering box out there? If so, who'd you get it from? (I need one for my 86 BJ74)

Dan, Did you find a new steering box out there? If so, who'd you get it from? (I need one for my 86 BJ74)
I had one sitting down in my parts container for a while. So I wanted to make sure it works before I kept it. Also I just took another one off a fzj70 I'm scrapping. Only thing is I'm Located in Jamaica

I had one sitting down in my parts container for a while. So I wanted to make sure it works before I kept it. Also I just took another one off a fzj70 I'm scrapping. Only thing is I'm Located in Jamaica
Understood. I'll have to try to hunt down a used one. Mine's leaking....

04445-60030 gasket kit for recirculating ball

04455-60020 gasket kit cross shaft overhole

Both still available Genuine and can be found on ebay

Re sealing may not work if the shaft has grooves in it where the seal rides on. I even got slightly tighter seal and it still leaked. I ended up double sealing it. You may need to replace that shaft with new to stop it leaking. I still have the rhd box sitting on the shelf, I don’t need it anymore since I converted to lhd.

No way to rebuild it? I'm sure there is kits for it

I've searched before but didn't find one. I should give that another go.

Re sealing may not work if the shaft has grooves in it where the seal rides on. I even got slightly tighter seal and it still leaked. I ended up double sealing it. You may need to replace that shaft with new to stop it leaking. I still have the rhd box sitting on the shelf, I don’t need it anymore since I converted to lhd.
Im fairly sure the parts are the same as a 78/79 series, although they have new part numbers
There are no kits, you buy the parts you need.
When the sector shaft gets grooves in it, the rebuilders in Australia coat them with metal paint (whatever that is). It doesnt last as long as a new shaft but it lasts a fair while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom