62 Dash removal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hammer45

SILVER Star
Threads
So I am trying to get to the evaporator box and wanted to remove the metal frame of the dash and clean all the ducts and cables etc. I am stuck in the drivers side of the dash frame. Can I remove this without taking out the steering column? Can’t get it loose from the column area. Any hints?

64C5056A-719D-4FB0-9993-74ED4B7DD101.jpeg

Will attach a couple more pics for you to mark up if needed

F7F18A78-E241-4E31-BD4E-831731F8BBF6.jpeg

B2B4FBAF-3C9B-4A9B-B45F-933CEB8B3F03.jpeg

2 nuts under where your pointing
Afraid you would say that. There are the two big ones that are easily accessible that appear to drop the column but there are two small ones that are not accessible with a wrench or socket just by my fingers and screw in from the bottom. It appears that I have to undo the larger nuts to get to the smaller.

Afraid you would say that. There are the two big ones that are easily accessible that appear to drop the column but there are two small ones that are not accessible with a wrench or socket just by my fingers and screw in from the bottom. It appears that I have to undo the larger nuts to get to the smaller.
Yep

Thx. Got it off. Amazing how little there is left when you take everything out…..

I've just painted a replacement dash pad for my FJ62 and wonder how long it took you to get the dash pad cover off (like your first picture?). Any suggestions to avoid damage to the plastic bits, or is it pretty straight forward? THANKS

So my pad is still attached to the metal frame that it is mounted to. Took me about 3 weeks off and on so I’m likely not the man to give advice! There may be an easier way. Sorry I’m no use!

Interesting...I thought the pad came off by itself and the metal frame stayed intact. I've seen pictures where you somehow reach way up underneath to get to some hidden screws and I'm really not looking forward to putting my body in that position. I am hoping too there is an easier way. Thanks for the reply and good luck getting it all cleaned up and back together.

Interesting...I thought the pad came off by itself and the metal frame stayed intact. I've seen pictures where you somehow reach way up underneath to get to some hidden screws and I'm really not looking forward to putting my body in that position. I am hoping too there is an easier way. Thanks for the reply and good luck getting it all cleaned up and back together.
Maybe this will help.
539F5E47-98F0-4720-87DC-90E9BF42048F.jpeg
F3E38D94-19B5-4FB9-864B-2E44845673CD.jpeg

So when I get home in a couple of weeks I can take a pick of the dash pad part with good views of the attachment points and this would give you an idea of what and where to reach for.

Thanks all. I'm pretty excited to take some time off this week form fixing my car to using it. Plan to drive up to southern Colorado and go camping and wheelin' in the mountains outside of Pagosa Springs. I'll tackle the dash pad when I get back, but if it is only two clips and four screws as the diagram shows I'll be pretty pleased. I've got a feeling it isn't so easy. I'm thinking if it took the Hammer a few weeks that it will take me a month.

I should be nobody’s yard stick when it comes to auto repair! First time into an engine here and it’s not likely ima gonna remember where all those wires went to in the dash. Kinda hoping it puts itself back together.

Check out cimmarona campground while you are in the area of pagosa. Our favorite campground but don’t tell anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom