5VZ flexplate cracked? Opinions? (video+sound) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_90xVzDV684&feature=youtu.be

Take a listen....

'98 3.4 TRD, auto, 177k, history a complete unknown (other than the air filter and oil change it got 2k miles ago), but previous SD registrations, red dust everywhere, quantity of bottle caps inside, body damage (and the "repair" thereof) are consistent with owner(s) who may have been a little too friendly with the fire water.

Engine runs fine, transmission functions as designed, but I get a scratching noise once at operating temperature that is only really noticeable in D or R with a foot on the brake. I have done some reading up and it seems the flexplates are known to crack and make such noises as I am hearing. Anyone that's had this happen care to take a listen and say theirs sounded something like this? Any pointers on dropping the trans?

(My previous 3.4 Tacomas have all been 5 speeds, and never needed anything more than regular maintenance, and a few ball joints, tie rod ends, and wheel bearings after a few hundred thousand miles.. This thing is going to be eating into my FJ40 time, which has been too scarce already lately!! :mad:)

Just thankful this thing made it from Rapid City SD to Cleveland OH 3 weeks ago... I would say I'm all but done making my other travel coincide with the purchase and driving home of yet another "slightly abused" Tacoma from across the country, but it makes for some interesting/fun times... I need to tread lightly around the potential seriousness/luckiness of this one or I may be disallowed from similar "adventures" in the future..:princess:

I will probably drop the trans the weekend after this once I rearrange the garage to allow for it, am open to comments/suggestions from anyone who's been there...

I've never experienced it myself but a good friend of mine had to fix his ex's 4Runner that busted a flexplate. She didn't mention any noises to him but the noises it made when coasting to the side of the road were apparently quite horrific. He said it wasn't too bad to fix. He had a rather interesting approach though. He took out the bellhousing bolts and used some foot long pieces of threaded rod in their place. Using a tranny jack he was able to slide the trans and t-case straight back without taking them out. Took out the mangled pieces of flexplate, put the new one in, and slid it all back together. That said she never trusted it again and soon bought an FJ cruiser. I've now owned 2 trucks with this engine/trans combo well past 200k miles that never had an issue. But they weren't overworked either.

Suspicion confirmed...

Yup. :bang: About 4 hours coming apart and 5 back together including cleaning out the trans pan and flushing fluid.. I got a quote from the dealer for the heck of it; $1,600 all in parts and labor to do just the flexplate..

It's back together with a new OEM flexplate and bolts. Flushed the trans while I had it apart, i don't think the pan had ever been off it in 180k. The fluid was disgusting; magnets gross. Here you can see where I wiped the filter with a towel...
Took it for a 15 mile test run tonight and all seems well.. Hopefully now I can park the Blazer for a while and show up to work with my hearing intact...

I had the same issue except I waited till the noise stopped....along with the forward motion of the truck.... Lots of work for $30.00 flexplate.

I replaced two of them on my 97 4R. First, the factory one cracked and made that noise. I replaced with an aftermarket- it only lasted about 6 months and came apart, leaving me on the side of the road. Next, I replaced with factory. It's got 25,000 miles on it. I have a spare factory one from a replacement engine too now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom