5th Gen 4Runner pic thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another solid weekend exploring with 50+ miles off road. Rear diff breather on order after some substantial creek crossings.

IMG_9707.jpeg

IMG_9713.jpeg

Great job. What products did you use?
Thank you! About 6 hours from start to finish…

-Standard wash with Meguiars Gold Class shampoo
-Mothers complete clay bar kit
-Meguiars Ultimate Compound w/ Griots random orbital buffer. Used the buffer on a lower speed (2). Took 2-3 light passes depending on the severity of pinstripes
-Chemical Guys Hydro Slick Ceramic Wax

Been away for a while. Here's some pics to bring you up to date. A couple of times a year, we load up the "Blue Beast" and head south along the east side of the Cascades and Sierras to SoCal, then to Flag to visit my daughter. We're heading down again this fall, with visits to Gallup, maybe Chaco Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Second Mesa, Two Grey Hills trading post, maybe Monument Valley, hopefully Bodie, and some petroglyph sites and maybe some fossil sites. Of course, we will hit Philippe's in L.A. and at least one Tommy's, as well as Earle's in Gallup. Got caught in a blizzard last fall on Hwy 395, bad winds the year before, and triple digit heat along the way sometime.

Anyway, some pics:

Beast at Chaco Canyon:

Beast at Chaco 2.JPG

Beast in Gallep:

DSC08060.JPG

The Desert Studies Center at Zzyzx, CA. I did some work there as a grad student.

Beast at Soda Springs.JPG

Zzyx Big Horn 3.JPG

One of the Neighbors at Zzyzx. He kept complaining about the tourists!

Soda Lake:

Zzyxx Road 1.JPG

Enough for one posting!

Here's a few more:

Northern AZ Museum in Flag:

Northern AZ .jpg

Winslow. Around the corner from "The Corner"! This was a "sculpture park" decorated by local tribe members.

Winslow Classics.JPG

Winslow Park 2.JPG

Ernie's NM.jpg

NDN Taco at Earle's in Gallup. Best fry bread ever. Apologies to Travis Lucky Bob (a local Yakama chef friend).

4runner stuck 2.jpg

Lot less fun! Our rear diff went out. Seems a service man forgot to put the plug back in. 120 mile tow and 3 weeks in the shop. Fortunately, Valvoline picked up the tab. About 25-30 miles north of Alturas. NOTE: We were really STUCK. Six inches of muck and I STILL almost pulled us out to the pavement using just the front diff! OF COURSE, I took the traction mats & shovel out for this trip to save room, also!

Enough for now!

Last edited:
Heading down to the Yakama "Rez" for some NDN tacos at

" A&B Native American cuisine"​

Take our furry daughter along and get her one (NO VEGGIES!! JUST CHILI AND FRY BREAD!). Nice little road trip.

Edit: She LOVED it! Ate hers and 1/3 of mine! AND, One-third of my wife's for dinner tonight!​

Faith with Bandana 11.26.22.jpg

Last edited:
We were going to do with WYBDR with some friends the beginning of August 2023. On the first day out our pup decided to become a young lady. My wife made the executive decision that we would not be doing a 10+ day off-roading activity with a group of ROFs and their dogs with ours in heat. So, a last moment decision was made to switch south from St Regis, MT, and drive down into Idaho for a couple of nights camping instead. Although much shorter in length, this trip was a ball. SWMBO is always happy when camping along water. So I made sure we found a campground (with pit toilet) to make her happy. We'll be heading out again in early Sept. for some more fun, this time in northern WA state.

IMG_2392.jpeg
IMG_2377.jpeg
IMG_2367.jpeg
IMG_2371.jpeg
IMG_2357.jpeg

Toyota Trails magazine is searching for T4R content!

Photos, articles, adventure, expeditions are needed. Any photo used in one of the four prominent positions of the magazine (cover, toc, tv spread, trails end) will be paid. Stories are paid in-line with any other newsstand publication. Interested? Email editor@tlca.org

*Pic for thread
LB at the top of the stairs on Black Bear. The town of Telluride and the Telluride Airport can be seen in the distance. Fun day 10 years ago.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/134005838@N04/3Wf76Z09rW

Alex got their 4Runner back from hail repair. They used the non chrome window trim and Limited badge and I think it's a huge improvement.

20231009_164505.jpg

Had a blast wheeling yesterday with some members of the local TLCA (Rising Sun) and Lady Owned Toyota groups. Very impressed by all drivers and trucks..I had the least built truck by far and was happily spotted by some very talented drivers.

IMG_0985.jpeg

IMG_0981.jpeg

Last edited:
Another white one followed me home... factory fresh with KDSS. Sliders, skids, 1" front spacer, and A/T tires on order already. I'll post up some more shots later this season once she's had these parts installed and is hitting the trails. :cheers:

IMG_1199.jpeg
IMG_1200.jpeg

IMG_1201.jpeg

IMG_1209.jpeg

Last edited:
Another white one followed me home... factory fresh with KDSS. Sliders, skids, and A/T tires on order already. I'll post up some more shots later this season once she's had these parts installed and is hitting the trails. :cheers:

View attachment 3591717View attachment 3591719
View attachment 3591718
View attachment 3591720
Congrats! That's very similar to what I tried to order in 2021, just dark blue with the same equipment. It wasn't meant to be so I got a GX instead.

Anyone have any high mileage Gen 5's?

Just passed 110,000 with no issues other than brakes/oil

Blackstone test about 15k ago showed all internals playing nice with one another.

Am trying to make an educated decision on whether to keep it and run it past 200k and beyond or trade while its still worth trading in

Blackstone test about 15k ago showed all internals playing nice with one another.

Am trying to make an educated decision on whether to keep it and run it past 200k and beyond or trade while its still worth trading in
The engine is considered one of the most reliable put in a 4Runner from my understanding. It's also used in the 300 series if that tells you anything. Keep fluids clean, woolwax or fluid film the frame and you should be good for 300-500k easy

Mine is a 2011 with 150,000 miles on the clock. The only things that have needed looking at were resetting the ECU controlling the transmission (shifting off a bit) and resetting the ATRAC system. When I brought that last one in to be checked out the young service manager thought I was saying 8 track, and kept telling me newer vehicles don't have 8 tracks. We had a good laugh on that one. Oh, one other thing, one of the wires for the fog lights on my ARB bumper became oxidized. Super easy repair. That's it.

This little beastie has done four BDRs, the HOTW loop, and many other adventures out west. No real issues at all! I have the local Toyota dealer do all oil changes, regular maintenance, and it just keeps purring along.

About a month ago, and unknown to me, a very good friend who owns a 2014 TRD 4Runner and I both looked at new Jeep Unlimited Rubicons. We both decided to keep our T4Rs. Jeeps, even the newer ones, seem to be plagued with reliability issues, and are expensive to repair. Ace and I had a good laugh when we found out we had both come to the same decisions for the same reasons.

Solo camping at the NWOR last summer in Plain, WA. When alone I like the KampCot for sleeping. It's heavy but fits on the roofrack well and pretty easy to set up and take down.

IMG_2201.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom