55 hood latch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I have a simple question.......
Over the past couple of days, I took my hood off and rebuilt the cross members, fixed rusty spots, painted the underside a new 'pretty' hammered look, and reinstalled it. Uuu, when I tried putting the safety latch back on the hood, I can't seem to figure out how it is bolted up on the two bolt holes, so the hook will keep the hood from blowing up going down the road. Someone got a pic of it installed? Item 58 below. No laughing!!!
113c.gif

Interesting the graphic shows the latch opposite its actual orientation.
hoodlatch1a.jpg
hoodlatch2a.jpg

If mine looked like that, it wouldn't be a problem. Mine is bent at 90* angle.
latch.jpg

are you sure it's supposed to be bent and didn't get closed on? it doesn't look like a factory bend?

are you sure it's supposed to be bent and didn't get closed on? it doesn't look like a factory bend?

Now that the paint looks so nice...sheesh. Well if you have trouble bending it back intact let me know I may have one you can have.

Guess we know why you had to repair the hood brace.

Last edited:
That is the way it was setup on the hood. It was working fine before I took off.

That is the way it was setup on the hood. It was working fine before I took off.

Looking at the other side of the story lets see what might work. If you reversed either the direction (bent hook installed reverse direction of mine) what would it catch on?

NOTE THE EXTRA MOUNTING LOCATION?
onesideofstory.jpg
othersideofstory.jpg

what is it hooking to?:confused:

Not going to bend mine ;) but I took card stock and played with both directions centered and rotational view. At most it might work to the left as mine if reversed in direction (bent hook pointing in pssgr direction) if the base is aligned off center...not likely though.

So there is something else cut / mounted or it was catching the inside of the grill pc. ????????????????

Egad, or mounting to the right it might catch on the release cable.

It was just bent. I can't remember it happening, but it left me scratching my head. I bent it back to shape and it seems work. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom