4x4 even in uwharrie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, that was a wild and eventful event / time. I seen that most contestants went home with a bit more body damage than they would probably like. It was better to run in the afternoons as it was dryer then.

I seen IH8MUD was well represented on the course by someone here on this site with that as a plate. Was it true what i heard though, that you did some damage close to the end of the race ? And yes you were doing good on the skinny pedal when i seen / yelled at you from the sidelines.

And if anyone was still on the course this morning it would have been slicker than you know what. It rained real good this morning.

I seen IH8MUD was well represented on the course by someone here on this site with that as a plate.

Yeah that's eskimo's rig... got some pics i'll upload later. Never met you though every time I found your rig at the stables you were somewhere else. Other than his that was the only LC I saw out there, but I was camping at the stables so that might have something to do with it. Over all it was a good weekend even though my wife forgot the tent on friday night and a 90 minute drive turned into a 4 1/2 hour drive to go and get it again. Lots of breaks on the trails. Lots of carnage I saw two trees get taken out, one only 5 feet from where I was standing. Mud bog was fun. Most everybody I met seemed cool. I was afraid our neighbors were going to run over my tent in the middle of the night though. (they were the drunk ones that decided to drive their jacked up bravada into the mud pit at about 10pm on saturday) Found out this morning that my tent isn't as water proof as I had thought so we left early thinking that it was going to rain all day. Did anything else happen this sunday???
Alky I think I saw your 80 driving home it was parked at a house just down the road from a sea food restraunt and across from a well drilling company on the 24/27. Was that yours??

North Carolina Cruiser Mechanic

Afternoon Ladies/Gents.
I recently rolled into Fayettville, North Carolina, since you guys are in the general area can anyone recommend a good shop that can wrench on cruisers here in the area. Thanks for the info. Have a good one.

Afternoon Ladies/Gents.
I recently rolled into Fayettville, North Carolina, since you guys are in the general area can anyone recommend a good shop that can wrench on cruisers here in the area. Thanks for the info. Have a good one.

Truthfully i could not reccomend one in Fayettnam. What are you trying to get done though, we have a few locals that can do stuff.

Yeah that's eskimo's rig... got some pics i'll upload later.

I knew it was Eskimo's rig, was just seeing if he would post up how he did. I went on nc4x4 and seen how most did. And a bunch of pics to include Eskimo's.

I packed my stuff up in the rain also. Got home and put it all back out and it dried nice down here as it did not rain down here again yesterday after i got home.

Hey all.. Yeah, my tent (used 1 time previously!) is also not waterproof.. But, I finally got the green light for an RV after the new house is built!!! I've been trying to talk her into it for YEARS... but something about waking up to water dripping on your head while the neighbors are brewing coffee with the heat on did the trick!!

I had more carnage at the campsite than on the trail!! some presumably drunk ass took out one of my LED trailer tail lights, AND put 2 small dents in the rear 1/4 panel of my tow rig with an ATV or something.

Anyway, the event! whew, what a blast. I think I only saw about 5 people the who time... was in the zone for sure. We had an interesting start.. the back end rotated off a jump and the RR tire smacked the hell out of a tree, not even a minute in.. I looked back to make sure the axle was still attached (it was a HARD HIT, hard enough to wedge tree bark in between the beadlock and the tire), and kept on (This same spot bent another guy's FJ80 rear axle housing about 10-15° when he hit it with his buggy).. Then near Kodak, we skied the front a little and smacked a tree (not quite as hard) with the LF. At Kodak, I came down hard on some kind of rock and it really did a number on the skid plate...might need to make a new one.. The downhill area after Kodak was crazy.. I could barely keep my feet on the pedals! We kept on, and finished with a time of 8:24, which was good enough for 4th in our class. The pinion brake was literally POURING smoke after the run.

I know where I could have made some time and broke into the 7's, but had only run the course once, and it was a 50% speed run.. With as easy as it was to run off-course, I was honestly more concerned with finishing, than finishing first.. (more in D class DNF'd than finished) I only wish I hit the one big jump in the middle, and the last jump at the finish line harder... they were a lot smoother than I thought they would be.

We had a blast, and my neck & back are only slightly sore today. From what I can tell, 2 bent wheels are all that we damaged, but they're not so bad that I can't keep using them. I'll look more closely after we get back form vacation.

It was very gratifying that the amount of work I put into the rig being tough and using big parts paid off.

Thanks for the support guys!

Rich #409

I was around on Friday and Saturday, will try to upload some pictures in the next couple of days.

Friday, we watched the A class at the start line, got to see a few of them really launching on the first berm.

On Saturday, we drove in Dickey Bell to where it meets RML at checkpoint #1. We watched there until the lunch break. Then headed over to the URE Stables to watch folks in the mud bog till midafternoon.

Packed up the camper and headed home so I could get it cleaned out / get ready for Mothers Day.

I saw a yellow FJCruiser and a white Trail Tream Edition FJCruzr too in the camping area. Saw Eskimo's rig lined up to race but did not see Rich (we kept driving to slab pile and then in)

Wife was impressed at how well the 80 did on Slab pile, she said she was sure I would "find" a way to get on the trails, heh.

80 was a nice ride / no real issues with swaying pulling the 5k camper but NO GUTS when you get up to 65ish mph. Every little upgrade on the hwy really slowed me down unless I manually shifted down to 2. (Had OD off and ECT/PWR on) I am gonna tow the camper to OBX with Father in laws Taco instead this weekend.

Rich, I seen you at CP-3 on your way to Kodiak Hill and you were doing good at that time. Still a relly good time to finish in. Was a good race to watch thats for sure.

2nd one didn't turn out too good
2484902382_5b040fc4a2_m.jpg
2484903986_9c559fabd8_m.jpg

2484906530_79165fd903_m.jpg

2483992639_94b7e5020f_m.jpg

Yep LT, that's mine. Tried to make it out there but had to work friday and saturday, and sunday being mothers day, all time was spent with family. Everyone in town that went told me about the badass FJ they saw (Eskimo's) kickin ass, so I want to kick myself for missing it.

Glad nobody got hurt...I was waiting to hear about a helicopter rescue or someone rolling down the hill below and after Kodak. Sure sounds like I missed some fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom