1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4BT source

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by Mountain Goat, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Hi, all.

So just down the street from where I work there lives this guy that always has old busses and bread vans crowded around his house. I frequently walk past the place when I need to leave my computer for a few. I've always wondered just what that was all about. Until today, that is.

Today he was outside and I got to talk with him for a few. At the end of the conversation it wasn't really clear what his focus is, but I learned that he sells the bread vans.

Like a lot of bread vans these have well maintained Cummins 4BT engines. Apparently most have about 200K - 250K miles, but don't burn any oil. It sounds like he prefers to sell whole vans, but does part them also. Engines are $2500 and up. Pretty economical compared to the Toyota diesels.

Nice guy anyway. Here's his contact info.

Jack

541-302-4934

Eugene, Oregon, USA

When I spoke with Jack he and another guy were just finishing a 4BT conversion in a Ford Bronco. When he fired it up, it sounded kinda like a bread van. :)

2. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

Thanks for posting the info. I am sure many will do this conversion down south.

3. polarweasel

polarweasel Where's mah cruzah?

$2500 for an engine? Ouch. You should be able to buy the whole bread truck for $1000-2000, often with far fewer miles than that...

4. paulj

paulj

So tell us where.

5. polarweasel

There's a guy in the 60 section doing a 4BT swap. Do a search over there and he'll turn up... He bought a bread truck from an online auction place for $1100, I think. I checked out the site, and they've got a ton of trucks in quite a few different locations around the country.

6. polarweasel

Here's the [thread=105722]thread[/thread] in question...

7. ridgerunner

ridgerunner

I've Heard $1700 is pretty much the high end of a 4BT equiped bread van as well. The whole van too....

8. paulj

paulj

polarweasel;
    Thanks for the link.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">