4bt conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all.
Im a newbie here looking to do a 4bt for my fj 40. Does anyone know if there is a conversion kit made specifically for this type of project
Also if you have or know of someone with a 4bt engine and tranny for sale. Please let me know. Tia

I have looked a using a 4bt for years and there are a lot issues with it like weight, adapters, and limits on rpms.

Cummins has offered a crate R2.8 that has a lot of support for the adapter market to support the conversion. The R2.8 already has a history for automotive applications.

These are th etwo motors I'm also interested in. THere's an online comparison of them price is heavily in favor of 4BT. Econ and weight R2.8 from what I recall I'd love if anyone had done the 4BT. I know there's a build thread on a red 60 with R2.8 which is great.

4BTs are a lot bigger, louder, and a LOT shakier than a 2.8. Packaging a 4BT into a 40 can be pretty tough, but it is totally doable.

It's been done, it was quite fashionable a few years ago. Search here and in the fj60 forum

The 4BT is a way better engine. It'll take huge power on stock internals. It's an industrial engine designed to be serviced easily and run forever.

With that said, I'm having an R2.8 put in my 40. Much friendlier, more civilized, I don't need or want gobs of power.

I do really like the idea of a mechanical injection pump though. Simplicity, and the ability to run it on more questionable fuels.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom