46 continental V12. Any antique gearheads? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mostly lurk this site for a few years and just really seeing this section. I like to skim through lots of the threads on cruisers here but have found the forums for my old 46 Lincoln continental to be rather sparse. I bought this as a toy my son and I could work on and bond over as he gets older. I’ll try to post some pics later as well. She was dropped off not starting but two new battery cables later and she moves…albeit the slowest car I’ve ever owned second to my cruiser, ha. I’ve had a few 60s/70s vettes with small and big blocks, but this is a different animal. Anyone else on here have a really old original powerplant toy? Also, hello to this part of the site!

Mostly lurk this site for a few years and just really seeing this section. I like to skim through lots of the threads on cruisers here but have found the forums for my old 46 Lincoln continental to be rather sparse. I bought this as a toy my son and I could work on and bond over as he gets older. I’ll try to post some pics later as well. She was dropped off not starting but two new battery cables later and she moves…albeit the slowest car I’ve ever owned second to my cruiser, ha. I’ve had a few 60s/70s vettes with small and big blocks, but this is a different animal. Anyone else on here have a really old original powerplant toy? Also, hello to this part of the site!
We need pics of the whole car!

I'm a Studebaker guy and it has it's original 259 V8. (1959)
Also a 955 Ford Customline with 232 V8.

I don't pull out in front of any traffic with any of them.

We need pics of the '46 flathead!

Oh that is an awesome combo you have! Do you have any threads on here of either? And I’ll try to snap a few the next few days if she feels like starting up… ha.

Oh that is an awesome combo you have! Do you have any threads on here of either? And I’ll try to snap a few the next few days if she feels like starting up… ha.
No, I don't have threads on either.

I'm old school and I don't think about taking pics until I'm done already.

I'm not going to pollute your thread with my pics of the cars.

This is my other “antique “ it is slower than my FJ40.
IMG_0359.jpeg

With a newborn, now just turned one, the lincoln has been sitting in storage LOL but here is a pic of her from one of the few times i got her out this summer. still have some overheating issues to play with come spring!

IMG_1434.jpeg

No, I don't have threads on either.

I'm old school and I don't think about taking pics until I'm done already.

I'm not going to pollute your thread with my pics of the cars.
Entirely up to you but i assure you i do not mind! little guy likes to watch top gear regularly but its apparent hes a far cry from letting his dad do anything to post in here, ha.

Entirely up to you but i assure you i do not mind! little guy likes to watch top gear regularly but its apparent hes a far cry from letting his dad do anything to post in here, ha.
This was my first car. I've owned it for 43 years.

I drive it a lot. It's not a show car or a garage queen. It's a conversation piece.
Most people have no idea what it is.

1959 Studebaker Lark VIII

IMG_20180922_134658699 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20180922_134929250_HDR (Medium).jpg
IMG_20180922_134937255_HDR (Medium).jpg

This was my first car. I've owned it for 43 years.

I drive it a lot. It's not a show car or a garage queen. It's a conversation piece.
Most people have no idea what it is.

1959 Studebaker Lark VIII

View attachment 3532821View attachment 3532827View attachment 3532829
that is fantastic! i have seen a few around here and i always attributed it to the proximity of louisville to the studebaker hq back in the day? i havent seen that particular model though. that is awesome that she gets driven regularly. the chrome, panels etc all look to be in quite good condition!

that is fantastic! i have seen a few around here and i always attributed it to the proximity of louisville to the studebaker hq back in the day? i havent seen that particular model though. that is awesome that she gets driven regularly. the chrome, panels etc all look to be in quite good condition!
The Studebaker plant was in South Bend, Indiana.

The chrome trim around the base of the windows and the front turn signals are chrome plated aluminum and they are heavily pitted. The other "chrome" trim is actually polished SS from the factory.

The car has some rust in the rockers and the roof on the passenger side is dented heavily from the top 8 ft of a tree 38 years ago.

I bought the car with 28K miles on it and the rust there was already there. The paint on the hood and roof has faded a lot over the years (patina). It currently has 106K on it and it has gone on two Hot Rod Power Tours of 2200-2600 miles each.
It's very reliable as long as it's not hot. It vapor locks a lot when it's hot. I cannot run any ethanol fuel in it.

I've changed the engine in it from the original 1959 to a 1963 because the original burned oil so bad. They did not come with oil filters until 1962. I have blown the rear end out of it 3 times because I was a kid and some of it was learning curve. I still have all the original parts for the car.

The front seats lay flat to make a "queen" sized bed in the car. it was sold as a salesman's car that were on the road.

I did have to install an Edelbrock carburetor because the original Carter butterfly shafts wore out and leaked so much air it wouldn't idle. With the 4V Carter, I got 21 MPG on Hwy. It has a 259 CID Studebaker V8 in it with an automatic transmission.

I enjoy it, windows down, cruising 55-60 MPH, enjoying a cigar and some tunes from my MegaBoom speaker. It's a good way to get away.

On the HRPT, I managed to get it to 100 MPH. I had always wondered how fast it would go. It took a mile + to get there.

My son drove it on the 1/4 mile drag strip and it covered the 1/4 mile in 22 seconds. I've never heard an announcer so lost to talk about something for that long....

Lots of stories. That's what it's really about. We did the HRPT to make memories and have more stories.

KYLXFJ
The car in my post is a 1933 Chevrolet. The car was originally in California. Sometime in the 50’s or 60’s my dad’s cousin bought it from the original owner. In the early 70’s dad’s cousin died suddenly and his dad built a garage for it and kept it until about 1998 when he passed away. Dad’s aunt gave it to him and he has owned since then. He passed away in 2022 and so now I have it and need to do some minor maintenance to it and run it around a little. It is all original except for a respray sometime in the 60’s. 56000 original miles, untouched interior and motor. Cool car and pretty unique around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom