4 runner rear hatch wont open

Discussion in '05+ Tacoma, T100, Highlander' started by gogle, Feb 22, 2009.

1. gogle

gogle

Ok...when it was warm it worked fine...I did notice that the squeeze handle would get stuck in the open position....it feels like it has too much grease in the mechanism to release it sometimes. So today...its COLD out..the handle was in the open position and I hit the unlock button in the cab and I walked around and I figured that I should just be able to lift up the rear door...NO GO! so has anyone experienced this before? if so whats the "fix?" thanks in advance....Garth;)

2. Bighorn

Bighorn

Shoot a bunch of pb blaster into the handle from the outside and push it back and forth. Cycle the lock a couple of times. It should start working. It's happened to me a couple of times. Once you get it working, hit it with silicone once in a awhile when it starts to feel crunchy.
    This worked for me, but I'm certain there are other ideas out there.
    Good luck.

3. gogle

gogle

thanks Bighorn...do you think its just old sticky grease? if so i thought about removing the panel and cleaning it first...what do you think? garth

4. mtnbike28

mtnbike28

Media:
    I cleaned it

It's been a while, but I removed the panel on my 98 and cleaned and lubed everything. I have not had a problem in years. Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.