3FE owners...how do you do it ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...You must become one with 60mph. 65 tops.

You must never commute on city streets unless your local filling station has extremely good coffee as you will be stopping there every day to fill up...

I've gotten my FJ62 to 80 or 85mph, no problem. Well, I guess it took a couple of minutes to get up to that speed and it was a bit downhill too.

And it's fun driving in the city 'cause I get to look down into most other vehicles, even if I do stop at a lot of gas stations.

I think CruiserDrew's mindset is right on though. It's a low-power 6cyl heavy truck and you're goin' no where quickly. :grinpimp:

Awsome engine, but!!!!!:p add two more cylinders:bounce:

OK, reconfigure it into a V, call it a choyota v-8:rolleyes:

Straight 8, that would be cool:hillbilly:

I have mine all tuned up and just down shift on hills. At 1000-4000ft I can keep it up at 80 pretty easy. That old six will rev. Doesn't seem to hurt a thing except your wallet. :)

Do you guys really feel the "need for speed" drving your LC's? I normally drive fairly quickly in my fun cars, but there are certain cars I feel no desire to drive quickly. The LC is one of them...that's a relax and just Cruise vehicle for me. That being said, I'm still holding out for a 1FZ-FE :p

I have rigs with 1FZs, 2Fs, V8s and 3FEs. My daily driver at the moment is an FJ80 w/3FE with 32-33 inch tires and stock gearing. It is definitely weaker than a 1FZ.

But, that said...

I cruise the highway at 80 often. never slower than 75. I have no trouble moving in traffic, in town or on the road. I tow Cruisers on trailer with this rig quite a bit (average one every couple of weeks). It is over taxing it, but it does the job pretty well. I trailered my FJ62 a thousand miles back from Whitehorse last fall with it.

I haul the weight (in dogs) of two adults with me every where I go I often have another adult in the rig with me as well.

If you have major complaints with the power of a 3FE powered '80 I submit that you have engine/tranny. tuning/adjustment issues, or you simply have unrealistic expectations of what a 6000 pound all wheel drive station wagon is gonna do. My 1FZ rigs are quicker... but they are not enough so that I would be happy with them if I considered the 3FE powered rigs to be worthless lugs.

FTR, I come from a hot rodding background, and yes, I DO know what a fast car feels like... And I have towed with Ford power strokes and even stupidly hot rodded Dodge cummins so I know what a real tow rig can do also. :)

Mark...
I too travel on highways quite a bit and don't have an issue getting the truck to 75-80. Just made a 1,000 mile round trip loaded down with gear and kids; drove mostly highway and was doing 75-80 no problem. I was actually trying to see if I could break it! Maintain it and it will maintain you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom