32" tire options for 17" Rims (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been wasting time looking at tire options for 17" x 8.5" rims I plan on adding to my truck and am curious what size options the 17"-wheel-crowd are using? I'd prefer running no bigger than a 32" tire, which is my current setup (275/65/18) so have my eye on 275/70/17, however am surprised to see that size mostly comes in C and E load ratings, resulting in a much heavier tire than I currently have (by around 10lbs!). Any other size options recommended? 255/75/17 also has limited options. 285/70/17 is a 32.7" tire, which may be a little too big for my setup, although I am planning to trim my front bumper at some point.......

The size you're aiming for is kind of an in-between size, as the two most common that I've seen are 265/70/17 (~31.7") and 285/70/17 (~32.7"). Depending on your use case, there isn't really any performance difference between 265/70 and 275/70, but they're much more affordable and easy to get.

A 285/70 takes a bit more to fit (alignment/BMC/fender liner trimming), but can be done on stock suspension (I ran it like that for a year). Depending on the one you get, a 265/70 also may fit in the spare tire well under the truck.

I'd personally (and have done) either of those two sizes, due to availability (replacing spare on a long road trip) and options available. A lot of the tires in these two sizes have P rated and LT rated options.

Last edited:
It took a 3 in lift, cbi front bumper, spc uca alignment, sliders, and heat gun to finally get no rubbing with 32s… fitting larger tires is one of the down sides to the 150

The size you're aiming for is kind of an in-between size, as the two most common that I've seen are 265/70/17 (~31.7") and 285/70/17 (~32.7"). Depending on your use case, there isn't really any performance difference between 265/70 and 275/70, but they're much more affordable and easy to get.

A 285/70 takes a bit more to fit (alignment/BMC/fender liner trimming), but can be done on stock suspension (I ran it like that for a year). Depending on the one you get, a 265/70 also may fit in the spare tire well under the truck.

I'd personally (and have done) either of those two sizes, due to availability (replacing spare on a long road trip) and options available. A lot of the tires in these two sizes have P rated and LT rated options.

Pretty much nailed it. More accurately you did nail it IMO ;)

I went with 265/70r17 AT3W and they are 9.5 pounds heavier each than the Michelin LTX that were on it. I want the extra beef, but not so much that mpg is choking on it. Went with the 4Runner TRD Pro 17x7 alloy wheels because of weight, they are 7 pounds lighter than the OEM 18" wheels. So net gain was 2.5 pounds each corner which didn't affect my gas mileage. I also want a narrow rim when letting some air out. The spare JUST fits and to make it fit have to align a groove in the tire with the 2 flanges on the OEM hitch and wrestle it into place. Any larger they are not going to fit and I need a hitch. Not a fan of tire swing outs on a DD personally so fitting in the spare location was also a requirement for me.

Pretty much nailed it. More accurately you did nail it IMO ;)

I went with 265/70r17 AT3W and they are 9.5 pounds heavier each than the Michelin LTX that were on it. I want the extra beef, but not so much that mpg is choking on it. Went with the 4Runner TRD Pro 17x7 alloy wheels because of weight, they are 7 pounds lighter than the OEM 18" wheels. So net gain was 2.5 pounds each corner which didn't affect my gas mileage. I also want a narrow rim when letting some air out. The spare JUST fits and to make it fit have to align a groove in the tire with the 2 flanges on the OEM hitch and wrestle it into place. Any larger they are not going to fit and I need a hitch. Not a fan of tire swing outs on a DD personally so fitting in the spare location was also a requirement for me.

I have been pondering doing what you did as well. I currently run 265 65 BFG KO2 on the stock wheels. The 265/70/17 looks to be just fractionally larger and should fit in the spare. Do you have pics of your setup?

Do you have a lift, or are you planning a lift? 265/70/17 has a ton of options and common availability and IMO is the best aesthetic size for an unlifted GX. The official measurement is 31.5 inch diameter but I think a lot of all terrains run a little larger. The 265/70/17 Pirelli Scorpion AT+ I just replaced measured right at 32 inches when mounted. I did have to trim a little bit of plastic out of the front fender liners to keep it from rubbing at stock ride height but you may have already done that with your current tires.

285/70/17 are effectively 33s and need more work. I have a ~2.3 inch lift in the front and Ironman UCAs and so far in street driving I haven't had any rubbing issues but clearance on the front fender liner and body mount looks pretty tight with the wheels turned at static height. I am going to do some shaping of the fender liner since that is easy enough, but will have to do some testing to see if they contact the body mount arm at any point during compression + turning.

I have been pondering doing what you did as well. I currently run 265 65 BFG KO2 on the stock wheels. The 265/70/17 looks to be just fractionally larger and should fit in the spare. Do you have pics of your setup?
19 Lux, stock suspension no lift. Bumper chop and Expedition One sliders Attica headlights and blackline knockoff grille

53505848681_3be996d15c_b.jpg

53512023252_1b6e5bee8b_b.jpg

53513231114_9651929edd_b.jpg

love those sliders! :)

@Cold Iron where'd your blackline grill come from? I kind of want one, but also am going to immediately chop it in half to work with my bumper so definitely don't want to pay OEM Lexus prices.

@Cold Iron where'd your blackline grill come from? I kind of want one, but also am going to immediately chop it in half to work with my bumper so definitely don't want to pay OEM Lexus prices.

Ebay there are several of them out there. The seller I got mine from doesn't show any in stock For 2014-2022 Lexus GX460 Luxury Grill Front Upper Grille Gloss Black Style | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/195673854596
I paid $269 with free shipping he is up to $326 now. Would bet they all come from the same mold in China.

Just did a search on Evilbay and can't find a solid all black. There are a few that don't have full pictures of the front but when you scroll down through all the BS the color is listed as Color: Chrome+Black so not it. Then there are the full kits with spoiler, etc. And F Sport ones, again not it. When I got mine the others went fast, real fast. I have a feeling most of them do.

Went back and searched again and found this one that may be solid black looks like it for $293. Don't know anything about the seller however. I tried the 20% discount code PRESIDENT20 and it didn't work with the grill. It is a Or Best Offer so try $269, it worked for me and my seller. Good luck!

265/70R17 Toyo AT3 worked well for me, stock suspension with 17" 4runner trail wheels - same as Cold Iron above, the spare JUST fits in the stock location.

I would however, also like to acknowledge that I have a problem buying wheels, so here's an album of the various sizes I've run. Specs should be listed under each picture if you want to see what they are.

I keep telling myself I don't need to go bigger. I know I don't. But we'll see.

It's hard to beat the 265/70R17 Wildpeaks in an SL weight rating. Zero perceptible difference in braking/mpg/acceleration performance relative to stock, easy to fit, and better off-road performance. They are also a common and inexpensive size.

I ran mine un-lifted for a year and am still running them with a 3/2.5" lift. They do look kinda small but work great. I'll get 285/70R17s when these are worn out (later this year).

It's hard to beat the 265/70R17 Wildpeaks in an SL weight rating. Zero perceptible difference in braking/mpg/acceleration performance relative to stock, easy to fit, and better off-road performance. They are also a common and inexpensive size.

I ran mine un-lifted for a year and am still running them with a 3/2.5" lift. They do look kinda small but work great. I'll get 285/70R17s when these are worn out (later this year).
Yeah, the 285s are sounding better and better. Given their SL rating, they weigh about the same as my current 32s.
I have plenty of tread left, so maybe 275s will come in more SL options down the road.

Are you lifted or stock-height? I actually have some minor rubbing, even with the lift and 265s, and will probably have to trim the front bumper/fender liner a bit when I upgrade to 285s.

285s are the biggest I've found where the SL rating is available. 275s are a pretty uncommon size, so they'll be harder to source if you happen to damage one in the future.

Are you lifted or stock-height? I actually have some minor rubbing, even with the lift and 265s, and will probably have to trim the front bumper/fender liner a bit when I upgrade to 285s.

285s are the biggest I've found where the SL rating is available. 275s are a pretty uncommon size, so they'll be harder to source if you happen to damage one in the future.
I have a 2” lift and only had to do some minor fender lining massage when I added my 32s to stock wheels. From what I understand and what I’m hoping, the +10 offset of my new 17” wheels will help with clearance of the slightly bigger 285 tires.
I already trimmed the rear wheel well to fit the sliders I recently installed and am thinking of trimming the front bumper to fit a cbi or victory bumper. So I think I should be golden

Being lifted, I'd definitely go with the SL 285s. Can't wait to get them on my rig.

These are 285/70/17 (33s) with the trimming I did to fit 265/70/17 (32s). It doesn't rub on anything at static height, but using the world's worst plumb bob it does look like rubbing the body mount is possible when the suspension is compressed and turning. I might be able to get away with just pushing the fender liner back but it will be very very close. I have a little over a 2 inch lift (~2.2-2.3) and Ironman UCAs up front. There is plenty of clearance in the front of the fenders. It looks so good vs the 32s which were a little small after the lift.
1000012684.jpg

20240216_095833.jpg

20240215_134800.jpg

nice. Those are the tires I am looking at as well. How you liking the Baja Boss ATs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom