3.4L Tacoma Engine $500 / what do you see in these pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

vtcruiser60

SILVER Star
Threads
I am very tempted to pick up this motor for a landcruiser build. I get to pull all the wiring, and most anything else in the engine bay. The motor has 146k on it, and apparently turns over...though without any coolant clearly I can't get a good test run on it. The motor, tranny, wiring will run $500.

What do you see wrong with these pictures?

Last edited:
and two more up close....rust

Last edited:
How long has it been sitting there, outside in the elements without the air intake? How much water and how many mice have made their way into the throttle body?

Oh yeah, without the intake you'll obviously need to put on an air box or aftermarket filter and pick up a MAF sensor that used to be on the intake, just after the airbox.

The 96 Tacoma was wrecked in the fall of 06, or so the story goes. He turned the engine over in Oct/Nov and never since. It looks to me like the hood is propped up for these pics. I have not looked it over in person....yet.

What does the oil on the dipstick look like?

I have not seen the oil, but was told it was clean. No white sludge, coolant, or rust on the stick.

I wouldn't be really concerned about animals in the intake, considering the throttle body is in place. But I would see if you can snag the airbox and air flow meter. I suspect the owner probably still has these, it looks like he removed the fenders, and the airbox bolts to the inner fender. It's too bad you can't hear it run, but I have the same miles on my 4 runner and it runs perfect. Also keep in mind that 96 is OBD2, if you want to use the stock harness for your swap, make sure you get the whole dash harness too. The OBD2 port is up under the steering column, and you could have issues if you don't get the whole harness. Also ask if the truck ever had the heads off for the gasket TSB. Lots of pre-98 3.4's had head gasket issues. But I suspect it's either already been done, or it wasn't an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom