2LTE Injector Pump (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

So I think my fuel pump may be going? Back Story:
- I have a 1997 LN108 Hilux with 250k ish on the odometer

- I have done the majority of recommended modifications including 2.5” exhaust, no egr, holset he211 turbo, front mount intercooler, and 10 blade fan

- since installing the new turbo (and spoofing the ecu with an air controller) I am comfortably making 12-20psi boost with regular highway and city driving. I know I could do more but I am comfortable with this

- lately I have noticed some increased smoke on start up and several misses. Settles nicely after a few seconds. No smoke while driving aside from a minor “haze” if I really hammer on the throttle.

- on the highway, after prolonged driving I am noticing spiking egt’s (I drive to egt’s so keep them below 1250f max, pre turbo egt probe placement)

- after prolonged highway driving seems almost like the engine is hurting for fuel and lacks power, then will rectify itself. This doesn’t happen without longer trips on the highway.

- my injectors were replaced with new ones less than 5000kms ago

So… I am wondering if this is likely the fuel pump? Any other thoughts?

If it is a fuel pump issue, can the pump be serviced or do I need to purchase a new pump? I would love to switch to a mechanical pump but I have an automatic transmission and I have read that it is a ton of work/border line not feasible.

If I do need a new pump does anyone have a good source for one?

Thanks,

Phil

Hey all,

So I think my fuel pump may be going? Back Story:
- I have a 1997 LN108 Hilux with 250k ish on the odometer

- I have done the majority of recommended modifications including 2.5” exhaust, no egr, holset he211 turbo, front mount intercooler, and 10 blade fan

- since installing the new turbo (and spoofing the ecu with an air controller) I am comfortably making 12-20psi boost with regular highway and city driving. I know I could do more but I am comfortable with this

- lately I have noticed some increased smoke on start up and several misses. Settles nicely after a few seconds. No smoke while driving aside from a minor “haze” if I really hammer on the throttle.

- on the highway, after prolonged driving I am noticing spiking egt’s (I drive to egt’s so keep them below 1250f max, pre turbo egt probe placement)

- after prolonged highway driving seems almost like the engine is hurting for fuel and lacks power, then will rectify itself. This doesn’t happen without longer trips on the highway.

- my injectors were replaced with new ones less than 5000kms ago

So… I am wondering if this is likely the fuel pump? An additional thought would be timing, as I don’t believe the timing was adjusted after installing the new turbo. Any other thoughts?

If it is a fuel pump issue, can the pump be serviced or do I need to purchase a new pump? I would love to switch to a mechanical pump but I have an automatic transmission and I have read that it is a ton of work/border line not feasible.

If I do need a new pump does anyone have a good source for one?

Thanks,

Phil
An additional thought would be maybe timing, as I don’t believe the timing was redone with the new turbo

I wish I knew what was going on but I can't really give a good answer, that kinda sounds like an injector issue but if they are brand new then they should be fine. Retarded timing will (noticebly) give you higher overall EGTs, less black smoke, more white smoke, harder starting, higher boost, and a quieter running engine. Timing is pretty forgiving on these engines so you'd have to be way out to notice anything.

I wish I knew what was going on but I can't really give a good answer, that kinda sounds like an injector issue but if they are brand new then they should be fine. Retarded timing will (noticebly) give you higher overall EGTs, less black smoke, more white smoke, harder starting, higher boost, and a quieter running engine. Timing is pretty forgiving on these engines so you'd have to be way out to notice anything.
So I actually think I figured most of it out. It turns out that the vband clamp on my down pipe was warped (mechanic that installed the turbo used an aluminum clamp🤦‍♂️). This resulted in a small exhaust gas leak, which contributed to the increasing egt’s, lower boost, and power issues. Once I replaced the clamp it was back to running normally.

In regards to the rougher start and smoke on cold start I think it is glow plug related. When I cycle my plugs twice it completely resolved the issue. Sooo I guess the question now is whether there is an issue with the glow plugs or relay or whether this is just related to them not having enough warming time due to the warmer weather (my understanding is that there is a sensor the changes the warming time related to ambient temp 🤷‍♂️)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom