2L TD04 turbo swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
Okay I think I want to tackle this soon. Have an N/A early 2L, you've all seen my posts before. Long story short I took the 4runner off the road to clean the fuel system and re-seal the engine (including head gasket). I bought a 2LT manifold and figures, **** it, turbo time.

So I know I need a TD04 turbo... Does it matter if I get one off a Subaru or a Volvo? What kind of oil lines do I get and where do I thread the feed? I know **** all about turbos, but hell last year I knew **** all about diesel, and well here I am, putting along in my 4 seater tractor. As for the injector pump, is it vital to get one with a boost compensator? Or can I 'wing it' with an N/A one? And finally, as for fuel, I don't want to squeeze as much power as I can and blow up my motor, just looking for a little kick to make it maintain 100 km/h on the highway. Can I run it lean or will that do damage? I have an EGT gauge, what should I be aiming for?

Like I said, I don't know about turbos, so here I am, asking probably stupid questions.

Side note, the exhaust holes on my head all slope backwards, whereas the manifold slopes backwards and forwards. I was told I can just drill and tap the head.
IMG_0057.jpeg

The TD04 from the Mitsubishi 4D56 is the perfect size. There was a BMW 2.4 td which used the same one (maybe with different turbo flange, I haven't checked).
They are all over ebay etc for chinese copies through to bigger bolt on versions.

Basic specs on the 4D56 turbo:
TD04-4-10T.

TD04 turbine. (40/47mm wheel).
4cm turbine housing
10T compressor wheel. (36/49mm)

Okay I think I want to tackle this soon. Have an N/A early 2L, you've all seen my posts before. Long story short I took the 4runner off the road to clean the fuel system and re-seal the engine (including head gasket). I bought a 2LT manifold and figures, f*** it, turbo time.

So I know I need a TD04 turbo... Does it matter if I get one off a Subaru or a Volvo? What kind of oil lines do I get and where do I thread the feed? I know f*** all about turbos, but hell last year I knew f*** all about diesel, and well here I am, putting along in my 4 seater tractor. As for the injector pump, is it vital to get one with a boost compensator? Or can I 'wing it' with an N/A one? And finally, as for fuel, I don't want to squeeze as much power as I can and blow up my motor, just looking for a little kick to make it maintain 100 km/h on the highway. Can I run it lean or will that do damage? I have an EGT gauge, what should I be aiming for?

Like I said, I don't know about turbos, so here I am, asking probably stupid questions.

Side note, the exhaust holes on my head all slope backwards, whereas the manifold slopes backwards and forwards. I was told I can just drill and tap the head.
View attachment 3053176

I think you've purchased a manifold from a 1990 plus 2LTE/2LT-2. It would have been more ideal if you could have sourced one for the first generation 2LT. I'm not familiar with how interchangeable they are, but read into it. The first gen one has a round outlet, later square (to match CT20 turbo differences). You can look up all the OEM part pictures for early and late engines N/A and turbo on Megazip.

You'll have to fabricate an adapter if you want to use a TD04 turbo. There are CT20 to T25 adapters on ebay. So you could also look for a small T25 turbo.

Regarding TD04 turbos, Dougal has suggested a most ideal one. But in a nutshell, find one with the smaller turbine housing (TD04L) otherwise you'll have really slow spool on the small 2L motor. Anything with the small turbine housing should work ok. I bought a TD04L-13t from a Subaru WRX; possible a touch big, but I'm going for big power.

For oil feed, you could look for an oil cooler unit from the 2LT. It has a outlet for turbo oil feed.

For oil drain, I think you can weld into the oil pan, it has to be high up above oil level.

Make sure the turbo is oriented so the drain faces down. Also look into proper feed restriction etc.

For your goals, you can get away without a boost comp. To get more power, you will have to turn up the fuel, which means you will over fuel out of boost. This is why it will be important to have a fast spooling turbo.

Just keep your eye out for old pumps with boost comps that you could swap on at some point in the future. I have an old Denso VE pump in a box with a boost comp that might work if you want. I could have another look at it, but you can read up on it also. Its from an 80's Ford Ranger diesel if I remember right.

Try to find a thread/build showing turboing a first gen 2L engine. I know they're out there. It'll help you with lots of ideas.

Last edited:
Also, regarding EGT, keep it under 1200F pre-turbo. I have my fuel maxed out, and run 18psi intercooled. I can't ever get EGT over 1000F. Pretty safe temp. Pre-cups are the things that suffer on IDI. Pistons in DI.

I think you've purchased a manifold from a 1990 plus 2LTE/2LT-2. It would have been more ideal if you could have sourced one for the first generation 2LT. I'm not familiar with how interchangeable they are, but read into it. The first gen one has a round outlet, later square (to match CT20 turbo differences). You can look up all the OEM part pictures for early and late engines N/A and turbo on Megazip.

You'll have to fabricate an adapter if you want to use a TD04 turbo. There are CT20 to T25 adapters on ebay. So you could also look for a small T25 turbo.

Regarding TD04 turbos, Dougal has suggested a most ideal one. But in a nutshell, find one with the smaller turbine housing (TD04L) otherwise you'll have really slow spool on the small 2L motor. Anything with the small turbine housing should work ok. I bought a TD04L-13t from a Subaru WRX; possible a touch big, but I'm going for big power.

For oil feed, you could look for an oil cooler unit from the 2LT. It has a outlet for turbo oil feed.

For oil drain, I think you can weld into the oil pan, it has to be high up above oil level.

Make sure the turbo is oriented so the drain faces down. Also look into proper feed restriction etc.

For your goals, you can get away without a boost comp. To get more power, you will have to turn up the fuel, which means you will over fuel out of boost. This is why it will be important to have a fast spooling turbo.

Just keep your eye out for old pumps with boost comps that you could swap on at some point in the future. I have an old Denso VE pump in a box with a boost comp that might work if you want. I could have another look at it, but you can read up on it also. Its from an 80's Ford Ranger diesel if I remember right.

Try to find a thread/build showing turboing a first gen 2L engine. I know they're out there. It'll help you with lots of ideas.

Best info I have on the turbine size is very little difference between the TD04 and TD04L.
TD04 40/47mm.
TD04L 41/47mm.

Main part is if you want to swap turbine housings you need to get the right one.

Compressor wise:
10T is 36/49mm and can flow about 22lb/min
13T is 41/56mm and can flow about 30lb/min.

10T is going to be better for altitude and lower rpm. 13T should still work well.

Picked up a TD04HL 11G for $100. There doesn’t appear to be a wastegate…. Do I….need one?

DC38CAF5-DC69-448F-B070-9E374B74F2F5.jpeg

39959F7A-480E-43BC-BA11-B9BE197085B3.jpeg

Ei

Will still work fine though right?

Ask @GTSSportCoupe if he's driven one. I have that size turbine in a turbo (still not fitted though) for my 3.9L Isuzu. But my Isuzu runs more boost and lower rpm so it's not a straight-forward comparison.

Ei

Will still work fine though right?

I believe the TD04HL-11G was used in the Mitsubishi 4D56 diesel which is 2.5l. If that's what your turbo came from, it might be ok. You'd have to read into it a bit. Personally I don't have any experience with it.

I believe the TD04HL-11G was used in the Mitsubishi 4D56 diesel which is 2.5l. If that's what your turbo came from, it might be ok. You'd have to read into it a bit. Personally I don't have any experience with it.
Well these turbos are cheap so if I don’t like it I can always get a smaller one.

The 4D56 used the TD04 which is the smallest turbine in that family with the smallest turbine size (4cm). No H or L.

Of other importance is the housing size. Many HL's are ~8-10cm housing.

How long of oil feel line do I need? Also do I need any fitting adapters or can I just buy generic feed line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom