285 bfg's without lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've read some older threads on putting 285's on fj without a lift. just to get updated, has anyone that's done this experienced rubbing and can anyone post some pics to see how it looks. want to put bfg 285's on mine but not sure want to sink more money on lift.

I put 285 BFG's on my Silver FJ I have experienced NO RUBBING whatesoever. They look great! Also dont worry about the back window opening it does clear the tire with no problem. I do go off road and over rocky terrain and still no rubbing yet, although I am not as serious about it as the hardcores here....

I have noticed the speedometer is now off a few MPH I think I am going faster than the reading and the odometer seems to be of about -10%...there is a thread concening this somewhere. I still am getiing above 22MPG HWY. I will try to get some photos for you. I would buy them again in a second. I run them on my 93 runner(265's) and have had 3 sets go longer than 50,000 and I live on Volcanic cinder roads here in AZ.....:cheers:

I have 285/70/17's on my Cruiser with no lift. Zero rubbage, and I would consider myself hardcore wheeler. Mine aren't BFG's, but they are the same size. As long as you use the stock rims, or a rim with the same offset/backspacing, you will be fine.

The rims aren't that scratch-free anymore. ;)

Last edited:
weever said:
I put 285 BFG's on my Silver FJ I have experienced NO RUBBING whatesoever. They look great! Also dont worry about the back window opening it does clear the tire with no problem. I do go off road and over rocky terrain and still no rubbing yet, although I am not as serious about it as the hardcores here....

I have noticed the speedometer is now off a few MPH I think I am going faster than the reading and the odometer seems to be of about -10%...there is a thread concening this somewhere. I still am getiing above 22MPG HWY. I will try to get some photos for you. I would buy them again in a second. I run them on my 93 runner(265's) and have had 3 sets go longer than 50,000 and I live on Volcanic cinder roads here in AZ.....:cheers:
10% at 60mph it would make 6 mph diff on the odometer. probably more like 2 or 3% diff. anyway just nitpicking.
Most people seem to be rubbing on the frame mount. A 2 to 3 inch lift may or may not even fix the rubbing problem because of where it is rubbing.
I think most people are getting the lift for the extra ground clearence. If you're not rubbing, be happy, you're one of the lucky ones. Love the BFGs also

When I put on my BFG Mud TA's I got a speed difference of 2mph./4kmph. That means I had to run my speedo 2 or 4 respectively slower than the speedo says. I got the numbers by running my GPS on I-5 the last time I went south. I set the speed control and then read off the actual ground speed.
Hope that helps in your calculations.

If you put 285's on 17" wheels yo should be fine as far as rubbing is concerned. I can tell you that my 285's on 16" wheels rubbed quite a bit.

thanks for all the input. my fj came with 16" wheels so don't know if i will have rubbing or not. some say yes some no. would it just be better to get 17" rims

utah tojo said:
10% at 60mph it would make 6 mph diff on the odometer. probably more like 2 or 3% diff. anyway just nitpicking.
Most people seem to be rubbing on the frame mount. A 2 to 3 inch lift may or may not even fix the rubbing problem because of where it is rubbing.
I think most people are getting the lift for the extra ground clearence. If you're not rubbing, be happy, you're one of the lucky ones. Love the BFGs also

as I said I was off just a FEW MPH on the SPEEDOMETER and -10% on the ODOMETER... I am not off on the speedpometer by 10%...just nitpicking back....all I know is when I go "mile marker to mile marker" for one mile my odometer reads .9 or 9/10 of a mile. that means If I go 100 miles on the ODOMETER I physically really have gone 110 miles. I just made a 1500 mile trip and tracking it the whole way many times I was -10% town to town, everytime..

There is another thread regarding this called how did 285's affect the gas mileage..

Last edited:
weever said:
as I said I was off just a FEW MPH on the SPEEDOMETER and -10% on the ODOMETER... I am not off on the speedpometer by 10%...just nitpicking back....all I know is when I go "mile marker to mile marker" for one mile my odometer reads .9 or 9/10 of a mile. that means If I go 100 miles on the ODOMETER I physically really have gone 110 miles. I just made a 1500 mile trip anf tracking it the whole way many times I was -10% town to town, everytime..

There is another thread reagrding this called how did 285's affect the gas mileage..
I stand corrected and agree.

Thanks UTAH TOJO. Some of this can be a little confusing to me. I appreciate ALL OF YOU who take the to take part in healthy dialog & discussions. I bought my cruiser with great confidence because of this forum.:bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom