285/70/17 with no lift... WARNING --- LOTS of Pics!! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So with a more aggressive tire tread like that, do you sacrifice a lot of on road performance? I understand they won't grip like a Z-rated performance tire, but I also don't think any of us drive our FJ like a Porche 911 either. I just wanna make sure I won't be putting my life ,or more importantly my 22 month old daughter's life, in jeopardy by going to a tire designed more for offroad use on a daily driven car. Thanks!!!

Cajun Transplant said:
So with a more aggressive tire tread like that, do you sacrifice a lot of on road performance? I understand they won't grip like a Z-rated performance tire, but I also don't think any of us drive our FJ like a Porche 911 either. I just wanna make sure I won't be putting my life ,or more importantly my 22 month old daughter's life, in jeopardy by going to a tire designed more for offroad use on a daily driven car. Thanks!!!
I have 6 kids that I try to keep safe as much as possible and I have zero issues so far that make me question the on road habits. Granted I have only driven them on dry roads, wet roads and muddy trails but everything is flawless so far. I wouldn't hesitate to make the same decision again. :)

Cajun Transplant said:
So with a more aggressive tire tread like that, do you sacrifice a lot of on road performance?

Mike,
As with most things vehicle related, tyre selection is a compromise. There are tyres for high speed, drag racing, ice/snow, all-terrain, mud, crawler, etc. When selecting a tyre you need to evaluate all the choices and pick what's right for you. In general, an A/T type is a better compromise between the typical choices for your FJ Cruiser.

I run M/Ts on the 80 because off-road performance is more important to me at this stage of the truck's life. I run A/Ts on the Tacoma because it spends most of the time on pavement.

The Toyota Trail teams are running BFG A/T ko tyres which is an optional tyre/wheel combination.

-B-

Beowulf said:
Mike,
..... evaluate all the choices and pick what's right for you. In general, an A/T type is a better compromise between the typical choices for your FJ Cruiser.
Not trying to start anything, just curious... What in Mike's post gave you enough information to state that an A/T is a better compromise for him? I think I must have missed something.

I have tried to keep my 2 cents about BFG A/T's to myself because I know that a lot of ppl on this board seem to like them but for my combination of DD / 4x4 usage I would never go with them again. Actually, having now tried these tires, I wouldn't go back to A/T's of any make (I had Pirelli Scorpions as well in the past). My experience with the BFG's wasn't good once I left the road and the on-road performance didn't make up for that short coming in my mind.

Let me temper my comment a bit... The trails etc that I go on are almost always muddy. This is where the A/T's had big problems cleaning themselves fast enough to be useful.

Either way, as long as they get you where you want to go [safely], that's all that matters.

Shawn

The GY MTR is sort of in between a very aggressive mud tire and an all terrian tire. GY's all terrain is a joke but the MTR's are excellent off road tires that act pretty darn good on the pavement. BFG All terrains are about as good as street tires once the going gets muddy but pretty darn good for most of everything else and they will last twice as long as the MTR's. The "KO's" are a long shot better with overall grip than the previous model. Personally, for the FJC, I think that the MTR is the perfect choice as long as your wife dosen't beat you for the added tire noise.:grinpimp:

Corey said:
I was going to go with Wild Country TXRs from Les Schwab in the stock size when my FJ gets here in June, but may go for the 285s now.

Been running TXRs now since '98, and only on my 2nd set.
This set I bought around 2000 or 2001, and they still look new tread wise.
They wear forever.

The tires look great on your rig!
Glad you had better luck with the Wild Country's then I did! Mine did not fair so well in the mud and snow. I took proper care of them, it felt like I was driving on 4 lumpy basketballs after awhile. Switched to GY MTR's and they've treated me well for years. Great off and on road. I also kinda like the noise :D

Update:

Did some light wheeling at lunch to see what I could do to flex the suspension a bit to check for rubbing....

No rubbing for my setup.

P4250194.jpg

P4250193.jpg

P4250185.jpg

:popcorn:

Shawn

FJ Cruiser said:
No disrespect intended. I did notice your wife, WHAT A GIRL!

Think before you write... That is my 10 year old daughter.

Disrespect taken.

Does this mean I can't post pictures without airbrushing all the people out? Lame. :mad:

FusionCruiser said:

Disrespect taken.

Does this mean I can't post pictures without airbrushing all the people out? Lame. :mad:
OUCH

She looks ten, i dunno how she looks anyolder...

nice mud

nice mud! and tires too!

can you still open the rear glass with the spare mounted? IIRC, from the one I looked at, it seemed like the rear glass was really close to the spare when opening it. Just wondering if it affects it at all. Looks pretty good.

:cheers:

notyourmomslx450 said:
can you still open the rear glass with the spare mounted? IIRC, from the one I looked at, it seemed like the rear glass was really close to the spare when opening it. Just wondering if it affects it at all. Looks pretty good.

:cheers:

Lots of room on the rear window opening. Also plenty of clearance from the bumper.

FusionCruiser said:

Disrespect taken.

I think he might have meant "What a girl! She is sweeping the GARAGE floor!"

I wouldnt take offense. Pretty nice that she is sweeping the garage floor for you!

I put Nitto Terra Grapplers, 295 70 17 on my FJ yesterday....rub slightly on rubber cover of frame when turning with body roll or entering driveway.

Going to check about trimming the frame where it sticks out if this does not cause issues as not sure I can afford the lift now and may need to wait 2-3 months.

Love tires though...and definately makes FJ look better.

i could tell right away that had to be a kid sweeping in the back ground, but anyways. I guess 35's should fit just fine on a full ome heavy kit.

i took it as alluding to the fact she was cleaning up for him...nothing more and nothing less. I have two daughters so am sensitive to this as well but did not read anything derogatory in his comment.

cant say 33s dont rub....i noticed his tires are 285 which are pretty good about not rubbing....but my 295s which are also considered 33s will rub going in and out of drive or on bumpy roads. I am adding 3" lift this weekend and trying not to do the body mount mod....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom