275/70/R17 Fitment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like I'm a little late, but I run 275 STMaxx's on stock suspension with TRD Pro wheels (+4 offset) and running boards removed.

Street driving: They rub slightly on the running board mounting tabs at full lock. Every once in a while, they also rip off my droopy engine splash guards in reverse at full lock.

Off road: They rub pretty good on the fender liner anytime the suspension flexes.

Seems like I'm a little late, but I run 275 STMaxx's on stock suspension with TRD Pro wheels (+4 offset) and running boards removed.

Street driving: They rub slightly on the running board mounting tabs at full lock. Every once in a while, they also rip off my droopy engine splash guards in reverse at full lock.

Off road: They rub pretty good on the fender liner anytime the suspension flexes.
Thanks! That's really helpful to hear both forward and reverse, with on-road and off-. I am now thinking that the particular tire is making a big difference in these experiences. Your STMaxx's would have a far more aggressive (read:wider) shoulder than something like a Cooper Discoverer AT3. And I know that KO2's are simply wider than Falkens. It just seems like the tolerances are so tight that seemingly small changes make all the difference.

I finally picked up a new set of tires and got them mounted up in preparation for a cross-country road trip. I went with LT275/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my OEM rims with the stock suspension. Spare fits in stock location

TLDR; They fit with a front fender liner push. No rub on the UCA or the body mount on flat road or under reasonable compression.

Details: These appeared to fit but rubbed under half lock (when the arc is greatest) at the forward side of the outside wheel well while in reverse. This is likely because my LCA bushings are shot and I have some slop in the position of the steering knuckle. But a simple push of the wheel well liner and re-bolting it in place solved the rub. I only needed to move the liner about 1/2" to get clearance. Included are photos of the after-mod clearance back and front.

20200704_001849209_iOS (2).jpg
20200704_001936298_iOS (2).jpg
20200704_001900164_iOS (2).jpg

I also checked clearance under compression. I drove up onto a stump that's about 12" tall, and could still slide my fingers between the tire and the UCA, and had ample clearance to the liner. There is a possibility that under compression and turning in reverse, I may still rub, but even then it is just on the front plastic liner.

I finally picked up a new set of tires and got them mounted up in preparation for a cross-country road trip. I went with LT275/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my OEM rims with the stock suspension. Spare fits in stock location

TLDR; They fit with a front fender liner push. No rub on the UCA or the body mount on flat road or under reasonable compression.

Details: These appeared to fit but rubbed under half lock (when the arc is greatest) at the forward side of the outside wheel well while in reverse. This is likely because my LCA bushings are shot and I have some slop in the position of the steering knuckle. But a simple push of the wheel well liner and re-bolting it in place solved the rub. I only needed to move the liner about 1/2" to get clearance. Included are photos of the after-mod clearance back and front.

View attachment 2360891View attachment 2360892View attachment 2360893

I also checked clearance under compression. I drove up onto a stump that's about 12" tall, and could still slide my fingers between the tire and the UCA, and had ample clearance to the liner. There is a possibility that under compression and turning in reverse, I may still rub, but even then it is just on the front plastic liner.
I'm looking into the same tires on stock wheels, how has this combo held up? Did you end up adding spacers or lifting it?

285s get you... what ½" extra axle clearance? Otherwise it's a loss of 1-2 MPG, loss of power, have to do a BMC, figure out new spare location, new wheels.. not worth it at all. Complete waste for what you get out of it.

265/70s are CHEAP in comparison and fit without issue. Save that other money and buy something useful like a rear locker or a winch. Those will get you WAY more places than ½" more axle clearance will.

285s are a great popular tire that makes your GX470 look manly! LOL. And 1/2" extra clearance means the difference between scaping rocks and not scraping boulders. Although, I want to try 33x10.5R17 tires next.

285s are a great popular tire that makes your GX470 look manly! LOL. And 1/2" extra clearance means the difference between scaping rocks and not scraping boulders. Although, I want to try 33x10.5R17 tires next.

They do look good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom