24v alternator normal operation ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone describe normal operation of the 24v alternator? In particular, what is the normal charging rate? Mine seems to be jumping all over the place when checked with a meter. It runs from just below 24v to almost 28.5 when charging which seems a bit high to me. Left my wife stranded a few days ago and had to get a jump start to get home. I charged the batteries and no problems since but this fluctuation has me thinking the voltage regulator is on its way out. TIA

Last edited:
@Bossman is the belt tight enough to engage with pulley? Thus charging?

Are batteries reasonably new and the same (key here is that both batteries are the same).

Voltage regulator operating correctly?

Onur, I feel pretty stupid at this point as I assumed the regulator was internal to the alternator. Upon closer inspection... I now see the external mechanical regulator bolted to the inner fender. Looks like that is the place to start. Belt is tight, batteries are matching and just a couple years old. Both test good. I think I’ll peek into the regulator and see what the contacts look like.

Last edited:
Our, I feel pretty stupid at this point as I assumed the regulator was internal to the alternator. Upon closer inspection... I now see the external mechanical regulator bolted to the inner fender. Looks like that is the place to start. Belt is tight, batteries are matching and just a couple years old. Both test good. I think I’ll peek into the regulator and see what the contacts look like.

Bingo Daryl. Start there. Luckily new OEM 24v regulators are available from your OEM Toyota parts supplier of choice. :)

They are easy to test, too.

Bingo is right. Time for a new regulator :(
6B612235-5400-48E3-AD22-F50D7E49DB89.jpeg

On the hunt...

Heck yeah. I’ll text you. Thanks, bro!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom