22re temperature (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 92 4 cyl has recently been rebuilt.
So it has a new oil pump, new water pump, thermostat and such.

When I drive in the morning (when it's started cold) after running for a mile, the temperature gage reads that it's about to over heat. It climbs up and stays about a tick mark away from red line.

I press the clutch to bring the motor down to idle and the gauge instantly goes back to normal operating temp.

Can anyone guess why it does tht only when I bring the rpm's down?

Did you 'burp' the cooling system? How's the fan clutch? Fan clutch should be 'loose' when cool and stiff when heated up. Test by hand with engine off and the keys in your pocket.

Or have someone shut off the engine and if the fan doesn't stop right away then the clutch is bad. What thermostat did you use? have you let it climb up there and watch it to see if it'll drop back down without you pushing in the clutch?

Correct thermostat is important. You want one with a 'piddle valve' that prevents trapping any air.

(If your t-stat does not have a 'piddle valve', you can make one by drilling a 1/16" hole through the flat area.)

Last edited:
If it's a non-Toyota two stage one the temp will rise until it opens. My old one would regularly rise to 3/4 before dropping down as the t-stat opened.

After I put in my new motor in, the same thing happened to me. The heater core output line dumps right in front of the thermostat, thus fooling the thermostat by staying closed. Now, I never had the problem before the new motor, only after. The Toyota updated dual valve thermostat solved everything. I have the part number somewhere, but googling is faster. The small valve opens at a much cooler temperature and prevents the overheating.

It's a napa thermostat.. I tried to burp the radiator yesterday, after running it for 15 min I put my finger in the radiator and it was room temp, then I turned it off and I could hear the hot water gushing into the radiator...

Today I guessed on it; tht since temp instantly comes down as I lower the rpms that it's trying to open against the pressure. So I flipped it to the opposite side, It didn't do it as I drove it.. but I think yall might be right I need a thermostat from Toyota.

You'll want to have the correct part number because they do have a single stage one as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom