2016 LX - New member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I joined a few weeks ago, but thought I would finally make a post.

I have always loved Toyota and their reliability, but always got stuck because of features, prices, or timing in other vehicles. As soon as my last car was paid off - a Mercury Milan, I traded it in for a 1st Gen Highlander with over 100,000 miles. Nice competent little crossover. Camry on stilts pretty much. I took care of it and never had an issue.

After about 2 years, I traded it in and now drive a 2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum, again with over 100,000 miles. Lots of utility, lots of comfort. I love it. I take care of it, and have no issues. 3 tons of fun as my daily driver, even though I do not need all the room this boat has. I absolutely love the 5.7l V8.
Through all of this, I have always been aware of and admired from afar the legendary Toyota Land Cruiser. My local dealer never has them. (They rarely even have new Sequoias). But I read and research and admire.

A couple of weekends ago, I was near an urban area with a Lexus dealership who happened to have a lovely pre-owned 2015 Land Cruiser for sale. I took advantage of this opportunity and took it for a test drive. So impressive. So Solid. Stealth Wealth. Fell in love.

Well, since this is a Lexus dealer, I absolutely had to check out a similar year LX.

I drove a 2016, the first year of the latest refresh, right after I drove the LC so I could make a good comparison. I knew as soon as I sat in it, this was the vehicle. Drive was great. I even like the stupid Predator grill. I like the additional farkles of the 16 LX over the LC, especially the All Speed dynamic cruise and the sound system.

I joined the LC subreddit, joined ih8mud, and have educated myself on all the quirks and features of both 200s, the LC and the LX. I went back about 200 pages here, pretty much to when the 16 was new, and read every thread that interested me. Yesterday, I read most of the "Papp" thread. LOL.

Anyway, I am convinced the 2016 LX will be my next vehicle, but the price is still too high. Nationwide I am seeing an average of about $65,000. So I plan to enjoy my Sequoia, and hang out here, until I decide I can afford one. It might be a year, it might be 2. I wish it was tomorrow.

I have to say though, the one thing I have read the most on here is damn tire sizes. I know many of these newer LXs come with stupid 21" wheels with bad $440 Dunflop tires. So I am already starting to plan what that will be replaced with.

For a vehicle that I will drive 99% on pavement, will there be a discernible ride quality and comfort difference between 18" and 20"?

I'd like to get the biggest diameter tires I can when I do replace them. Most likely Michelin Defenders. I have them in a 275/55/20 on the Sequoia, and they are great. I am pretty sure I've read that 275/60/20 are no problem on the LX.

18? Assuming the same offset? 285/65/18? Is that about right?

I have looked at the collected data in the spreadsheet. My goal will be largest tire without rub, without modifications, for the best pavement ride and MPG (LOL I know).

Anyway, I guess I don't really need to know this now, I just like to plan ahead for things like this.

Sorry for the rambling, long post. Glad to be on this fine forum.

Ride quality between 18” and 21” depends on what kind of tire and load range you get. A 18” passenger car tire will feel different than an E-rated LT 18” etc.

Rule of thumb, you can pretty comfortably fit a 34x11” tire on the LX with very, very minor mods. If you want to use OE Toyata/Lexus wheels, you’ll need a 3/4” - 1” spacer, remove front mud flaps, and depending on your preferences, adjust the wheel liner by like 1” (most people leave it, rubbing is minor).

Good luck! I also don’t mind the predator grill on the 16+!

Buy and older LX. You can probably find a 2012 with similar miles to your Sequoia for around half the price of that 2016 (33k).

Ride quality between 18” and 21” depends on what kind of tire and load range you get. A 18” passenger car tire will feel different than an E-rated LT 18” etc.

Rule of thumb, you can pretty comfortably fit a 34x11” tire on the LX with very, very minor mods. If you want to use OE Toyata/Lexus wheels, you’ll need a 3/4” - 1” spacer, remove front mud flaps, and depending on your preferences, adjust the wheel liner by like 1” (most people leave it, rubbing is minor).

Good luck! I also don’t mind the predator grill on the 16+!

Would probably be an LT tire and either 18 or 20. Most likely on a Tundra wheel. So without having to do any trimming, maybe a 33.5 x 11? Would I still need a spacer?

Thanks.

Buy and older LX. You can probably find a 2012 with similar miles to your Sequoia for around half the price of that 2016 (33k).

I've thought of it, but I very much like the added features of the 16+ and the 2012 LX would not give me much more than I already have in the Sequoia. This also gives me time to wait for the right one and save more for a down payment.

Would probably be an LT tire and either 18 or 20. Most likely on a Tundra wheel. So without having to do any trimming, maybe a 33.5 x 11? Would I still need a spacer?

Thanks.

You should be fine. The spacer is really just to keep the tire from bumping the UCA. I'll try to grab a photo under my truck today if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom