2016 GX460 2nd row seat won't fold down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased my GX a couple months. I went to fold down the second row passenger side seat yesterday and it won't go. If I pull seat bottom handle the seat will fold half way down forward, it will recline and it slides. Using the fold down handle by the headrest I am getting resistance from the handle, I can hear what sounds like a clicking from the hinge (inside the plastic case and when looking into the plastic housing I can see the cable move.

Best I can tell is the seat hinge mechanism is working, and the handle is working correctly, but the cable attachment has failed somehow.

I was leaning the seats down to pack the truck for a 4 day offroading trip, so I'm pretty bummed that it's not working, especially since it worked fine a couple days ago, and I've used it several times.

Is this a common failure in these trucks? It seems like a strange thing to have let go on this new of a vehicle. If it is a common issue what is the fix? I can't pull the seat apart until I get back next week, but it would be nice to know what to look for, or even better if this is common, I'll order the parts now and they'll be here when I get back. Truck is a 2016 GX460 premium with 51,000 miles....1,000 miles out of warranty.

Make sure the seat is slid all the way back till it clicks. If the seat is in easy entry mode you will not be able to fold it all the way down.

Make sure the seat is slid all the way back till it clicks. If the seat is in easy entry mode you will not be able to fold it all the way down.

It's clicked all the way rear. I moved it front to back 20 times yesterday trying to figure out what was going on. I appreciate it though, I didn't know it would fold down if it wasn't all the way back.

Replied to your thread on CL

I purchased my GX a couple months. I went to fold down the second row passenger side seat yesterday and it won't go. If I pull seat bottom handle the seat will fold half way down forward, it will recline and it slides. Using the fold down handle by the headrest I am getting resistance from the handle, I can hear what sounds like a clicking from the hinge (inside the plastic case and when looking into the plastic housing I can see the cable move.

Best I can tell is the seat hinge mechanism is working, and the handle is working correctly, but the cable attachment has failed somehow.

I was leaning the seats down to pack the truck for a 4 day offroading trip, so I'm pretty bummed that it's not working, especially since it worked fine a couple days ago, and I've used it several times.

Is this a common failure in these trucks? It seems like a strange thing to have let go on this new of a vehicle. If it is a common issue what is the fix? I can't pull the seat apart until I get back next week, but it would be nice to know what to look for, or even better if this is common, I'll order the parts now and they'll be here when I get back. Truck is a 2016 GX460 premium with 51,000 miles....1,000 miles out of warranty.

how did you deal with it? my 2016 gx460 35,000 has same issue,, did you open up the seat and easily fix it? im a fairly long distance from a dealer to have warrantee cover it, that would burn a day of my life....

how did you deal with it? my 2016 gx460 35,000 has same issue,, did you open up the seat and easily fix it? im a fairly long distance from a dealer to have warrantee cover it, that would burn a day of my life....

It actually wasn't a huge deal. The cable just pulled loose. If your seat that has the issue it the passenger side rear like mine the wire is onk side of the seat towards the middle of the truck. To make it easier I unbolted it from the truck just so I can lift it a couple inches. If you split the plastic at the seat hind and look in from the rear you'll see the cable move when you pull the handle. Just pop it back into the slot and you're good. I put a drop of glue on the plastic and the tab to ensure it doesn't pop out again. Easy enough. Just sucked it happened the night before leaving for a trip when I was counting on the seat folding down lol.

It actually wasn't a huge deal. The cable just pulled loose. If your seat that has the issue it the passenger side rear like mine the wire is onk side of the seat towards the middle of the truck. To make it easier I unbolted it from the truck just so I can lift it a couple inches. If you split the plastic at the seat hind and look in from the rear you'll see the cable move when you pull the handle. Just pop it back into the slot and you're good. I put a drop of glue on the plastic and the tab to ensure it doesn't pop out again. Easy enough. Just sucked it happened the night before leaving for a trip when I was counting on the seat folding down lol.
Good to know!

thanks,,, was gonna get into it,, but i only have 1 month left on my warranty so i took it by dealer to see if they would handle it,, they did-free,, and hooked me up with a new battery-free,,,, gonna miss my warranty..... thanks again

thanks,,, was gonna get into it,, but i only have 1 month left on my warranty so i took it by dealer to see if they would handle it,, they did-free,, and hooked me up with a new battery-free,,,, gonna miss my warranty..... thanks again
It is not difficult to fix the problem as just following the attached photos.

Remove rear seat.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

Just experienced the same issue on my right rear seat. My problem is in the top handle. It cracked where the cable snaps in. Got a new handle on order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom