2015 T4R TEP Hidden Winch Mount Build

Discussion in '150-Series Toyotas' started by Jetboy, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Jetboy

Jetboy

Media:
    Albums:
    Built a hidden winch for my 4runner with my dad this weekend. Overall it's pretty straight forward on the 5th gens. Lots of room to work with inside the bumper. I left the solenoid pack on the winch but remoted the plug to a box near the drivers side firewall. Inside I set it up with a rocker on/off switch, a relay, and then the remote plug. I also bough a wireless controller, but it was DOA. HF junk. I'll test the components to see if it's fixable at home. Otherwise I've already cut it apart so I can't really return it.

Anyway here's how I did a hidden winch mount. Pretty similar to most of the aftermarket ones. The tabs on the bottom to fit all the bumper plastics and under bumper cover were a PITA to measure and replicate. The rest was pretty easy.
    20150214_111703.jpg 20150214_140723.jpg
    20150215_123340.jpg
    You can see the rope coming out from under the license plate. Fits Like a glove. I'll put a hinge on the plate I just didn't have one yet. 20150215_171105.jpg

CreeperSleeper and titanpat57 like this.
  2. titanpat57

titanpat57 Bigfoot?!...never heard of him... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice clean job...:beer:

3. smm3

smm3 SILVER Star

Looks great.

4. blakewhisenant

blakewhisenant

Did you weld directly on the 4Runner? I am nervous about grounding out the welder on the car its self. Do you do the battery or ECM?

5. Itsky

Itsky

Awesome!

6. Jacket

Jacket Moderator

THe picture is not 100% clear, but it looks like he bolted the winch plate to the ends of the frame.

7. thzpcs

thzpcs

That's a seriously cool build!

8. CaptCanuck

CaptCanuck

Nice work!

9. Jetboy

Jetboy

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry for such a delayed response. I'm not on here very often. But if anyone is wanting to build one like this - send me a PM and I can probably find my drawings I did before I built it and send them to you.

It bolts on. It bolts to the front bumper flanges - there are 8 bolts there. I also attached it to the one of the larger 12mm bolt locations on the side of the frame rail about 6 inches back. I wasn't sure the bumper flange was strong enough alone. It should be easily more than 10k lbs tensile strength, but I added an extra brace just for some extra piece of mind.

The other available attachment point you could use - but I didn't - is the OEM tow hoops. That's where CURT adds an extra attachment for its front receiver hitches. I use those as part of my snow plow assembly bracket mount because that is based on a CURT front receiver hitch. It fits with the hidden winch mount and uses the winch as the up/down power like an ATV plow does.

10. CreeperSleeper

CreeperSleeper SILVER Star

Nice work!

Jetboy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.