2014 Tundra head unit constant reboot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
As title says, the head unit in my 2014 Tundra reboots continuously.

I get the sombrero screen, then the "don't look at this screen while driving" screen, then it tries to load the map, then it goes back to the first screen and the cycle starts again.

Dealer says it needs an update, but they can't do it because they can't get the thing to open so they can get to the menu.

They suggest replacing the head unit at a cost of about $800.

They also say that they think that Apple iphones can cause problems like this,, but they can't prove that.

If I could some get it to boot and stay up, they could update the software.

Any insights? Or should I put in a new Toyota head unit? Or a new aftermarket head unit?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rigger

Update:

Hard reboot. Disconnect positive side of the battery. Wait 30 minutes. Reconnect. Start truck. Problem solved.

Why didn't this thought pop into my walnut-sized brain sooner? I don't know, really. Yeesh.

now that its loading up you should get it updated at the dealership, depending on the software on the radio there may also be compatibility issues with the phone as well.

Thanks for the advice. As soon as it was up, we got it in to the dealership. They updated the software. I’m hoping to somehow whack the link between the truck and the phone because I’m sick of the headache.

I’m just an old guy that wants to drive my truck the regular way.

if you have a lot of contacts that load when the phone connects to the it can cause the radio to reboot. you can always just pair the phone to take calls or music if that's more your thing and not load up your contacts or set it up for text.

I cleared my phone off of my truck head unit. Then I shut off Bluetooth on my phone. So far so good.

I bought the truck new 5-1/2 years ago. 104k miles now. Almost completely trouble free. I like the truck. I’m sure I could put 250k on it. It feels like it could run forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom