2011 Christmas tree cutting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also have a friend that wants to come help out with his Jeep. Just want to make sure that would be kosher with everyone. And for a jeep its not to bad.

Brad

I also have a friend that wants to come help out with his Jeep. Just want to make sure that would be kosher with everyone. And for a jeep its not to bad.

Brad

We've had a Jeep or two run with us, all good. We love the company.

The schedule is just to make sure we have a minimum amount of people for each day. If you want show up on a day that you are not on the schedule that would be great as well.

I picked up a 1976 Scout for my wife and if it seems to running reliably I may even bring it out one of the days to test it out. I figure if the weather is nice, like it looks like it will be, I can be the one that needs a rescue.

Are we required to have chains? If so I'm out.

I was planning on coming out at lease once for this, but can't commit on a specific day yet.

Chains are not a requirement to help out but they are a good idea.

I picked up a 1976 Scout for my wife and if it seems to running reliably I may even bring it out one of the days to test it out. I figure if the weather is nice, like it looks like it will be, I can be the one that needs a rescue.

Oh, it's on... If you bring the scout, I'm bringing my FJ40 mail truck... :steer:

Old school wheeling! :zilla:

:santa:

Does anyone have any information on the permit etc. for cutting a tree at this event? The only stuff I can find on the forest service website is from last year.

I'll be there some, but not sure of the dates yet. Will advise.

This year, tree-cutting permits go on sale Nov. 28 at the agency’s office at 601 S. Weber St. for a cutting period that runs through Dec. 14.

There is a limit of five permits per person.

Besides the forest service office, permits also will be sold in the parking lot at Woodland Park Middle School on Dec. 3, 4, 10 and 11. The school is on Kelley Road, just off Rampart Range Road.

Permits are $10 each..

Yah were in for dec 3rd but i cant find any details. All i know is it will be in the mountains, cold, trees and chainsaws will be involved... Good times

cool breeze said:
Yah were in for dec 3rd but i cant find any details. All i know is it will be in the mountains, cold, trees and chainsaws will be involved... Good times

Haha. What do you need to know? I can probably answer any of your questions.

This whole thing turns out to usually be no big ordeal. It usually involves us splitting up into two groups, each getting a forest service radio, and we drive around running the trails looking for things out of place until they call us. I doubt we're going to find any stuck people this weekend with no snow, so it will mostly be like a club run on rampart. The first day is the most fun, because we go out and hang up signs and report back trail conditions. Usually closer to the end of the day, we'll build snow drifts on the harder trails and then run through them, then come back around and see if anyone drove over the snow drift while we were out, that kinda keeps us knowing who went where.

We're not police, we don't tell people what to do, other than mention it if they are out of the cutting area. We have given lots of rides to people who either wound up on the wrong trail, or have a tree too big to carry. The vehicles get forest service volunteer magnets on them so people know who we are, and as a result We wave a lot, smile a lot, and basically have a good time on our own.

I've thought more than twice about having a base camp and staying behind with a fire if everyone got a call. Staying in one place would save gas and keep us warm =)

It was mentioned that this year some trails will have signs requiring chains in certains areas, i would guess we're exempt. Other than that, ,I really seriously doubt chains will be required this year, and oh yeah-- no chainsaws =( I will be carrying a hand saw if anyone needs one to get a tree.

I get it now. Thanks for the rundown!

I like your idea of having base camp with a fire to keep warm and swap stories.

Is it cool for us to cut a tree while there?

When we meet at the Forest Service site just buy a $10 dollar permit. I use the time to scout out trees and then pick it up at the end of the day. We usually put in about 10 to 30 miles depending upon the group that you are in so you will see a lot of trees. We also get into some of the more remote portions of the tree cutting area.

Luke, Thanks for putting out the scenario for the people that haven't gone yet. Sometimes Pete has a trailer set up on 223 that you can hang out at. It is a little cramped, but you did say that you wanted to warm up.

Chuck, I will be there on the 4th and one of the days on the next weekend, but not sure which one yet.

So if i dont pick up one at the office off Weber st there will be some available on the third? I just dont wanna miss out bc my wife is super girly excited about it. First time we have ever cut our own tree!

Where do we meet?
Time?

Here is the list I have collected so far. If I have missed someone please let me know. I keep going back through the thread and I think I have kept up with the posts but it would be easy to miss someone.

December 3rd: David H, Eric, Jim and Marylin, Josh, Justin(1 FJ60, 1 4Runner, 2 FJ40)

December 4th: Chuck, Luke, Jim and Marylin, Kanudude, David M.

December 10th: Chuck, David H,

December 11th: Eric, Luke, Kanudude

On the list but not yet commited to specific days:
Goslow (Vic)

cool breeze said:
Where do we meet?
Time?

Check the coloradolandcruisers.org homepage and click on calendar for all time and place info. Calender says west location, 8:00 a.m.

8am?!?
jesus you old guys get up early ;)

Just messing with ya man...sorry

So will i need to worry about permits being sold out if i wait until saturday to buy one up there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom