2010 Tundra "Grade Unicorn" Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lionsridge.com
Hello Mudders,
Family has exceeded the capacity of the 100. Its on the chopping block and now I will begin this build process as funds allow. I'm the third owner on this truck. 2010 with 64,000 miles. Paid $29,000. Purchased in Portland Oregon. The most important feature...Front Bench for this Family of 6. That's a Trac Rac on the bed over top of a Retrax Tonneau. Spray on Bed liner, DEEZee Running boards, and the best upgrade....Aftermarket leather interior!

The goal is Trail Capable Family Camping Rig. We will be hauling an OZTent RV5 for sleeping, build the kitchen as gear as part of the truck bed and leave room for long stuff up on the rack.

First Mod is probably dual battery and electrical to take care of the Fridge and the HAM. ALL yet to be acquired. Let's hear your opinions on a dual battery/electrical system upgrade. I'm interested in SPOD builds you've done on your tundra.

Here's the starting point. More pics later...
20161119_103150_HDR_zps2a5tg1l1.jpg

watching anxiously, interested to see how the dual battery works out...I've been brainstorming on this for a while.

Also, what are your plans for sleeping a family of 6 in an RV5 tent? Just cram everybody in there? or put a 1 or 2 kids in the truck?

I went the opposite direction with my Tundra, just pulled out my rear seats....dog loves it!

Curious to see how you like it. I am considering a switch from my GX470 to a Tundra with front bench for my family of six. Even the youngest ones cramped in the third row and no room for gear.

@bjowett Yes, it does have the tow package.

@cwwfj60 My oldest is 8, so we currently fit laying down in the 96"x96" floor of the RV5. But the longer term answer is to buy these bunk beds for the kids. http://www.kidobunk.com/ My hope is to store them in a partially built state so I don't need to spend 20 minutes just building bunk beds.

@Sleepy you sound just like me. I pulled a trailer for the last year. Now the goal is to get it all in the tundra bed with none on the roof.

I have a 13, 10, 7 & 7. The GX is definitely full! We like to take long 2 week road trips every year covering more than 6,000 miles some times hitting mostly National Parks. A newer Sequoia is a possibility too. Off-road is mostly forest service roads. No rock crawling thus far. I have a lot of uses for a truck though.

Funny, my family of 6 was in the same boat. Our Honda Odyssey is great for around town, but not optimal for much else. I tried to talk my wife into a Sequoia or 200, but she won't let her MV go! I had been pulling my 18' camper with the 80(turbo helps tremendously) but it provides almost zero cargo capacity when it's loaded up with 4 kids, 2 adults and a dog. So enter a 2013 Tundra DC with front 60/40 seat. I plan to put a bed cap on it and feel that it will allow our family to take much longer camping trips. Canoes/kayaks on top and bikes on the trailer=pure bliss. Really impressed with the Tundra so far!

This is the thread I needed.
Coming over from the 80 section. Not a lot of families of 6 over there and I'm starting to understand why. My oldest is 9.
Thinking about selling my 80 (little pit in my stomach about that. I've never invested so much time and energy into a vehicle before.) But I need room for 6 and don't like so much weight on the roof. Towing would be nice too.
That said, thinking about the 05 in the 4.7 to stay a little closer to the size I'm used to with my cruiser.

Family of 6 here too. The last was the catalyst to dump the Grand Cherokee for an 80 series and it is perfect for my needs as a dd and occasional family duty to the sticks. The Sequoia is better for primary family duty on hardball with a little more room.

We are also a family of 6. My oldest is 9 and in a booster. The other three are still in car seats. I've been hunting for a 200 but it's been a frustrating search. Really considering a Sequoia at this point. Hadn't considered a Tundra with a front bench...but wife wouldn't go for it anyway.

Little bits of progress... The Cruiser sold! Moved the awning over to the Tundra, bolted down the ARB fridge slide for the just purchased 63qt Fridge. Bought some electrical parts including the BlueSea ML-ACR CHarging relay. The best option seems to be putting the "House" battery in the bed under my Sliding Tonnaeu Storage.

If your wondering... the TracRac and SLiding tonneau came with the truck and I WAS going to sell and go towards a topper....but I decided to try using the setup as it came from the PO... We'll see...

20170304_122251_zps4fbwnkam.jpg

20170304_122320_zpszynammst.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice. Recently grabbed a Tundra myself.

If you haven't gotten over to Tundratalk.net -it's a decent resource.

I'm personally planning to do a few things like AWD conversion (locks the driveshafts too) - and a supercharger, those being the 2 biggies to my drivetrain.

If you're interested:
AWD conversion completed - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

I possibly will lose a little tow capacity by doing it, but my boat is a ~4500-5000# load, max - not planning to tow the space shuttle so for me AWD has practical purpose.

Last edited:
Not the best "Tutorial" Photos, but I got my auxillary battery install accomplished today. Basically I Bolted Two Optima Batteries Butt to Butt and made a flat plate for the base and top. (extra plate added in the middle so that edges and sides of Batteries are supported evenly.) BlueSea ML-ACR handles the isolation and combination. Extra long Battery bolts to hold it down in its original location. Red battery is the start battery, Yellow for the auxillary. Note: nothing is wired to the auxillary yet. HAM, Fridge, extra USB, and Backup/Camp lights are next. (For Search purposes... Dual Battery)

20170327_151733_zpskb3nmor1.jpg

20170328_130229_zpshilrq6zd.jpg

20170328_130303_zpsutlwisep.jpg

Last edited:
interested in watching your build. i'm seriously close to purchasing the grade 2012 that's currently sitting in my driveway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom